Preparing For The Hurricane.....

I've been listening to the radio coverage in CT and they said if there are outages it will be Bc the power companies do it to prevent damage. The great news is that LI has many electric support trucks that arrived from neighboring states to support an outage. For instance power was cut downtown mnhtn by my college and the storm hasn't really hit et.

It's best to prepare for the worst but my grandparents lived in LI for ages and they said it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe that's wishful thinking but it is smart to prepare for the worst.

When I arrived in LI on Friday, I sensed so much tension at the stores. Hopefully we'll learn on how to prepare after this one passes. On a positive note- my 2 little fish are enjoying the flow and lights so far!

Last edited:
Yes, the power company has shut down certain areas already. Parts of or all of fire island were shut down fir this reason. This has nothing to do with the majority of the population though. All it takes is a tree limb to come down on the wires and many folks will be without power.

So far my power has flickered about three times and has gone out once for about 10 seconds. No big deal other then the fact that my three mag pumps make an ungodly sound every time this happens. I have since shut off my return, skimmer and media pumps so my sump is offline. I have multiple power heads in my tank that usually run at random times via my apex. Since I shut my other pumps down, I changed my powerheads to be all on all the time.

If Someone has a generator and. Diid not use it i will rent it from u. I will pick it up and return it once power is restored

I live in lynbrook and a tree came down in front of the house pulling the power line outa the house, so I'm not sure how long we will be without power. I have a 350g reef and a little over 200g with a grouper and a 90g freshwater tank that now I'm worried about.

I have power here , just some flicking thats it.

I drove around and it was not bad.

I returned some supplies to Costco and home depot..got my $$ back ;)

I saw a guy returning generator at home depot so I'm sure llowe and home depot will have these in stock by later today since some of them don't need it so try give em call

Jake

We lost power from 7 AM to 1 PM and now everything is fine. I just threw a couple of battery operated air pumps in the tanks. All seems well now.

Tommorow I'll return the generator I didn't use! It's still in the back seat of my car.

I lost power from 4 Am until 10:30 AM -7 hrs.
Ran a battery pump & poured water from the sump into the tank a few times after I awoke @ 7:30.
Everything A-OK here.

Lost Power, basement flooded 2 sequence pumps located in basement under water, now the question is do I need to replace the pumps. Also got called into work until 11:00 :(

We had a few brown outs here, but have yet to lose power. The beaches are taking a beating though

Im in Bellmore and we still dont have power back.. Mp10s on a battery back up and I gotta admit my LPS has never been puffier... Would really love power back though, getting a little nervous about the sump.

Eric - thank you for the inverter and battery operated air pump, lost a few fish but you help me save the rest. Very generous of you. Thats when lira and reef central are very valuable tools. Again thank u.

Back