Preparing For The Hurricane.....

Powers back on, lost one of my mated harlequins and two emerald crabs. Other than that all the corals look great, glad thats over.

I had a generator running all my equipment, but lost out when my basement filled to the rafters.

Everything in the tanks is OK for now.

See new post about selling EVERYTHING pronto.

We lost power for a second time yesterday right before supper
Put out the small grill & made a steak..
Just when we were going to bed @ 9PM everything came back on.
Scheduled water change today & all looks fine.
Just glad it's over & done with & only minor clean up for me.

Lost power 4:30 AM on Sunday and had it restored at 6:30 PM Monday 36 houres with no power, luky for me I was able to get a generator Friday night.Hopefully everything is now back to normal.

Lost power around 9A yesterday and got it back around 4 today, had the return pumps all going off the generator (which I couldn't find a new plug for) and so far everything looks good.

Not sure why but cables been out the whole time but Fios no issues.

I was out for 36+ hours, and ran on battery powered bait air pumps. Everything looks fine, but I was lucky too--there were no D cell batteries to be had, but my dad had a bunch.

Glad everyone is safe--

No power as of 5pm Sunday. Fueling the generator every couple hours is getting old. Knock on wood, reefs are ok.

I sadly lost about 15 fish, my achilles was my favorite too... but luckily a neighbor is letting us run an extension to his house so the tanks are operating and doing better then they were sunday afternoon.

So we didn't lose power at all during and after the storm. We lose it today, five days later. I bought a 200w inverter I could run the basics of my tank with. My plan was to remote start my car at the top of every hour and the car would shut off itself after 15 minutes.

Change of plans and I just brought home a 5,500w generator. Now the house is set.

Is is ok to run this thing all through the night? I've never had one so I'm not sure what to do at night.

Sure you can run it through the night. Check your oil before starting it. Do not run it in an enclosed area because it will choke itself out and stall. Also keep it at least 10' away from any windows or doors on your house. Turn your main circuit breaker off and plug it into a 120 volt outlet. You will have to modify an extension cord by cutting off the female end and replacing it with another male end. When you plug it in the electricity will back feed your houses fuse panel and you will get power to half of your outlets in the house.
If you have a 240 volt outlet on the generator you can do the same as above but use an extension cord fitted with two 240 volt male ends. Plug one end into the 240 volt socket on your generator and the other end into your clothes dryers outlet. This will now feed your entire fuse panel and give you power to all the outlets in the house. You may need two different 240 volt male ends on the extention cord depending on what type of outlets you are dealing with. Although the dryer outlet is 240, it is usually a different configuration than the outlet on your generator. No big deal, just two different 240 male plug ends that do the same thing.

In the future you may want to have a dedicated 120 or 240 volt outlet wired somewhere on the outside of your house specifically for your generator so you don't have to run an extension cord through your house.

When Rita came through back in 2005 we ran our generator for 3 1/2 weeks straight. Every time you fill with gas, check the oil and top off if needed. I used a small pump that screwed on the quart oil bottle in place of the cap adding oil was just a few pumps and no mess or funnels. Plenty of bottled water, gator aid or like, and potassium tablets.

I'm in Hicksville, but didn't fare nearly as well as Vinny. Power off 2am Sunday, and back on at 1pm Friday. That's 5 1/2 days, 131 hours! Saving grace was the generator in my RV, a 4kw Onan -- it ran non-stop the whole time. Had one extention cord plugged in one outlet in the RV, through a window and then at least 20 things in the house plugged into it!!! I was amazed one breaker in the RV was handling all of that.

I found Quagmire's post very interesting -- I definitely need to look into doing it like that, then I wouldn't have to run extention cords and multi-outlet "squids" all over the house.

George
--

I'm in Hicksville, but didn't fare nearly as well as Vinny. Power off 2am Sunday, and back on at 1pm Friday. That's 5 1/2 days, 131 hours! Saving grace was the generator in my RV, a 4kw Onan -- it ran non-stop the whole time. Had one extention cord plugged in one outlet in the RV, through a window and then at least 20 things in the house plugged into it!!! I was amazed one breaker in the RV was handling all of that.

I found Quagmire's post very interesting -- I definitely need to look into doing it like that, then I wouldn't have to run extention cords and multi-outlet "squids" all over the house.

George
--

I bought a used Onan 4KW generator. It's a great little machine, and since it's 2 cylinders, it's nice and quiet. :thumbsup:

Quagmire made a great suggestion, BUT although he did say that you have to flip the main breaker, he didn't say it loud enough. I can't stress the importance of that enough. If you backfeed through the main on your service panel, you could kill an innocent LIPA worker. Also, if you have your generator hooked up and the main on, when power comes back, you won't have a generator anymore.

I bought a used Onan 4KW generator. It's a great little machine, and since it's 2 cylinders, it's nice and quiet. :thumbsup:

Quagmire made a great suggestion, BUT although he did say that you have to flip the main breaker, he didn't say it loud enough. I can't stress the importance of that enough. If you backfeed through the main on your service panel, you could kill an innocent LIPA worker. Also, if you have your generator hooked up and the main on, when power comes back, you won't have a generator anymore.

I understand all of this, but is it really a good way of doing it? I thought you had to install something called a "transfer switch" or something along those lines.

I got power back last night but my concern is running this thing at night. I don't want to be a bad neighbor but I also want a cold beer. :thumbsup:

Back