preparing your own food?

da1jewfish

who does it? I tried it with various seafoods from the grocery strore. it didn't turn out well. First off I could get the food the right size, either too small or too big. I used a grater and then used a blender. The second issue was the fish wouldn't eat any of it. Don't knwo whats up with that (I probably should try it again as now most of them will eat flake). The recipe was some clams, some mussels, shrimp, squid, crab, etc.

SO what do you use as food? and how do you prepare it exacty? Finally, do you think it helps their nutrition?

I make my own food and the fish LOVE it.

1 bag of forzen seafood medley. Shrimp, Squid, Clams, Oysters and Scallops.

Throw it in a blender. Add 4 sheets of Nori. I also put in some pellet food (which mostly disolves) and some freeze dried plankton.

Add either RO/DI water or Phyto to get the right consistency.

I then put it in a ziploc so that its about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Freeze flat and then break of pieces as required.

It should not be chunky but very smooth almost like yogurt. Just green and smelly. LOL.

I ended up getting a blender for fathers day because I killled the old one while making it.

FB

"I ended up getting a blender for fathers day because I killled the old one while making it."

I think I killed ours too. The wife wasn't impressed. I used very similar ingredients and my fish love mine as well. I didn't get mine smooth enough its pretty chunky.

Nope never used any gelatin. I feed it to mine frozen they attack it and take big chunks off. The stuff that melts goes to feed the little critters in the tank. Snails, Crabs, Shrimp, Corals, Anemone. There are still peices of meat in it, it's just has a certain texture. It's hard to explain.

Too big was my problem. I didn't blend it enough and didn't add enough water.. I usually push it towards the intake for my Tunze's they do a good job of making it bite sized :)

Back