Price on a Blue tort colony

jy544

I am downsizing my current tank and need to sell one of my Blue tort colonies. I have never sold a colony this size before and I would like to have some help on the pricing. This colony is 6" + many branches. I would like to sell it whole. I would hate to chop up a colony like this.

100_2237-1.jpg

Chopping up a colony is always a hard decision, but there are a number of arguments FOR fragging it out.

That coral has grown in a unique response to it's environmental conditions. Moving it to another tank will likely result in a very sharp shift in it's growth pattern. By fragging it out, not only do you get to spread your colony around to a number of different folks, but you limit the loss that would occur if the buyer of the whole colony had any sort of tank issues.

As far as the pricing - you will probably be doing some negotiating. 1" frags go from $10 to $35 depending on your local market, so a colony of that size is probably a couple hundred.

Another thing to watch out for - someone that wants to buy the colony so that THEY can frag it out and make a few bucks. The sum cost of frags is often more than the intact colony goes for.

I wouldn't be too worried about changing a colony's environmental conditions. I've bought tank raised frags from low flow holding tanks, and watched them thicken and fill in significantly in my higher flow system. Growth forms will change, to a point. Worse would be a dense massive coral from a high flow environment thrown into a low flow one, but I don't think that's a concern with this colony.

I think $200 to $250 is more then fair. Getting someone to pay it is a different story. There is no doubt you'll fair financially better hacking it up and charging $30 (probably add up to ~$500) a frag but I understand the want not to.

If it is truly not a money thing maybe offer for $100 to someone you know ill take care and make them promise not to hack up (although you can't enforce of course)

Yea, I could get a ton of frags off this but don’t really want to go through the hassle.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9239851#post9239851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kwl1763
If it is truly not a money thing maybe offer for $100 to someone you know ill take care and make them promise not to hack up (although you can't enforce of course)

If you decide to go this route, I'll happily adopt it, and send regular photos of its health. :D

jy544,why don't you just cut into 8 to 10 nice sized pieces and put up for sale on the orca page for around 30 bucks-you would make out o.k. and you would give fellow reefers a chance to own a good sized frag at a decent price-or bring them to the next orca meeting if your a member

Back