Prism Skimmer

I run the prisms on several tanks currently. They do a good job. The larger one really works well. I have taken advantage of the bad press they have gotten. People buy them and when they overskim the frist day read some crap online and sell them cheap.

This is like a lot of things. If 1000 people tell you somehing does not work and one shows you a healthy tank using the technique that everyone says can not work, it is the one who was right.

There are lots of tanks, large tanks also, with large loads, running the prisms, I have three tanks over 100G running the prisms, Two run one large prism pro, and the other runs two somethines three of the smaller prisms. These tanks grow a lot of coral and several animals that are reputed to be hard to imposible.

The advice seems to be getting better in here. Much more practical to help you run your current equipment right than to push people into expensive, often oversized equipment. The people being helpful out numbering the .... oposite, a good sign.

- Mark

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15436788#post15436788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Guygettnby
the fact still remains that the prizm skimmer does in fact work. different people will have different opinions on everything in life. some people dont mind fooling with there tanks and others hate it. on a tank 30 gallons or less the prizm skimmer does a good job and pulls out some real nasty stuff. it is just kinda hard for me to see were all these people are coming from when at one point in time i had 4 thats right 4 prizm skimmers on different tanks at the same time without a single problem and they all worked great. again these were all tanks either equal to or smaller then 30 gallons.

there are alot of people who say they hate the prizm skimmer on here and almost none of them actually tell the reasons way they dislike the skimmer. all i can say to the origanal poster is do some reading and research and try to weave thru the bull when reading. if you do in fact have a tank larger then 30 gallons i would have to agree with the rest of the posters.... box it up and return it for something better suited for your tank size.

I had one and it was crap! It didn't do anything but fill the cup with water. I wanted to run it over with my Jeep. I ended up selling it on Ebay and got a different skimmer that actually works.

I also had a prism on my 36 bow front and after a few weeks of break in it worked fine. I did have to adjust it a lot during the break-in period to prevent getting wet foam but that settled down after awhile, about two weeks. it certainly isn't the best skimmer and for the cost I would suggest the Aqua C which only cost a bit more.

If you have used it you probably can't return it so here is what I found to work. For my tank I found that if I kept the water level just below the o-ring it worked well. During the break in period I had to keep the water about 1/4" or more below the o-ring. Also make sure you hook up the air tube as this will prevent overflow when the cup fills with water and quiet the unit down a lot.

Back