Prizm Skimmer Deluxe in Sump

55semireef

Moved On
I have a hang on prizm dlx protein skimmer by Red Sea that hangs on the back of my 55 gallon tank. Can I put this in my Tidepool II sump? Will it do a job just as good as it was on the back of the tank?

Yeah but I plan on getting lots of xenia for my tank and xenia grow a lot better without a skimmer. Not to mention the skimmer was made for a 100 gallon tank and I only have a 55. Plus I have lots of liverock.

I agree with LBCBJ you will be much happier. I ran one for about a year on a 55 it pull some fare skimmate but not like a really good skimmer will Good Luck

I am thankful for the input but like I said, I plan on getting Xenia and they do much better without a skimmer. They help export nutrients in the water like a skimmer.

In the wild, Xenia are mainly found in water with high nutrients.

I can always build a second skimmer if needed.:D

Well whats not to agree about it. I want to hear what you have to say. :)

I realized I am just going to keep my skimmer on the back of my tank. Oh well, its only a 55 gallon not a 555 gallon custom show tank thats in a wall. :D

The skimmer will likely do a little better job in a sump because your overflow will skim all the surface crud the skimmer misses hanging on the back. As long as the flow through the sump isn't too high the gunk will be suspended in the water long enough for the skimmer to process it.

Hope that answers your question.

I think I am changing my sump to a DIY sump/fuge so this thread has no purpose in it although I do respect and thank all the input.

thanks

Back