Problem with Corallife mesh mod

scengineer

I trimmed off the outer needle weedle and attached 3 layers of the enkmat mesh. When I turned the skimmer back on the water level in the skimmer was about 1" lower. There wasn't a noticable changed in the size of the bubbles or consistency of the foam.

Basically, it looks exactly like it did before the mod.

Any suggestions on how to improve? More mesh?

I didn't trim the nubs from the inner needle wheel because I though it would help hold the mesh and affirm it better to the wheel.

I read where someone attempted the same, no real positive results with modding with the mesh or venturi. it looks like the pump is basically maxxed out as is.

I am going to try an Ocean Runner 2700 pump because of this.

How long has it been since you first plugged in the mesh modded pump?

It usually takes a few hours before you start to see some noticeable differences. If you just finished the mod and are now beginning to watch the skimmer you will want to lower the water level as LOW as you can before you go to bed. The mesh kicks in almost completely after several hours or so.

From what most people report, the Super Skimmers are a tad finicky and with the mesh mod it may make your skimmer even more finicky. You may be stuck skimming on the wet side with your skimmer, but that’s not a fact just a speculation.

o.k. ........ my observations were immediately after turning it on. Its been about 2 hours and its still looks the same.

I wouldn't be able to play with it again until tomorrow anyway, so we'll see how it turns out.

Good deal ... I was hoping it was a freshly modified impeller :) Rarely do I hear about a worthless mesh mod.

You should see some constant changes over the next day. I have no idea what is actually changing, but I assume it's the mesh breaking in, spreading apart and finding its balance.

Does the piping to the skimmer from the pump contain a restrictor? The mesh mod should be plumbed directly to the skimmer body with no restrictions in the piping.

I just modded my rio 2100 yesterday. I was able to remove the whole section of piping from the skimmer to the pump. Then I bought some pvc pipe and an elbow to replace it. For the venturi at the mouth of the pump I used a piece of vinyl tubing that fit the inlet of the pump. I drilled a small hole and then inserted a length of rigid vinyl tubing cut at an angle.

The skimmer is producing 5x plus the amount of bubbles it did with the original set up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9888979#post9888979 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RandyStacyE
Good deal ... I was hoping it was a freshly modified impeller :) Rarely do I hear about a worthless mesh mod.

You should see some constant changes over the next day. I have no idea what is actually changing, but I assume it's the mesh breaking in, spreading apart and finding its balance.

Actually its a little more involved. The mesh aerates the water more. The inlet venturi allowing air to be drawn in and aerated, then pumped in higher volume to the skimmer body all contribute.

This article by the famous Randy explains a lot very well.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

Well my experience is limited to ONLY the GenX-2400 and how I modified it. I am 90% sure that it was an improvement, but I won't know 100% until I get my air meter ... which will arrive within the week.

I just haven't read where someone has cursed the mesh and said that it wasn't an improvement. Here's a link to exactly how I did it

The mesh is an improvement on the CSS pump. Just not very much. Maybe 1 scfh. I tried the gutter guard, the fishing line, Hahns needlepointers mesh, Enkamat, and regular scrubby pad. I just couldn't get it up over 10scfh w/ no head pressure.

Looking back on it now, I think the main problem that is limiting this pump is the sorry excuse for a venturi that is supplied w/ it. If I recall the pump has a very large intake w/ the stiff airline tubing inserted into the flow before the reduction in the venturi. I think this makes it extra sensitive to changes in water pressure at different depths.

I have one laying around. I may pull it out to play w/ it if I can find time w/ the myriad of other projects I have going.

Its currently in its 7th hour and not much change .... even if its a minor change it better than nothing.

Any ideas on modding the venturi .... its somethign I've never explored.

I replaced the pump on my CSS 125 with a Hydor L40, which has close to twice the flow of the stock pump. The performance gain has been significant.

I also found the fishline mod to be quite benefitial.

Back