Problem with outdoor holding tank - Attack of the frogsjj

I have had numerous holding systems outside of my houses over the years. Everything from 100+ tub based curing tanks for live rock sitting on the ground to 40 gallon Breeder full setups to 10 gallon freshwater systems. With exception of the tanks I set up in direct sunlight for experimental reasons, the setups have all been on covered patios in areas that don’t get any direct sunlight . I have never had any issues with animals getting into the tanks until now.

For some reason, the 40 gallon tank, which is up on a stand in the back corner of the covered porch, is irresistible to frogs. Obviously salt water and frogs don’t mix, which means I have now pulled out approximately a dozen dead frogs. Trust me, it’s not fun.

Any ideas why I am suddenly having this problem out of the blue? I always thought the smell of the saltwater deterred animals from getting into the tanks, but that does not seem to be working here. I realize I can just put a mesh over the top, but I am really curious what is causing the problem. Any ideas?

Maybe this is a way to kill mosquitoes [emoji3082], have you ever noticed dead larvae in it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back