Problems with high salinity - any ideas why?

supervdl

I seem to have an increase in salinity in my main tank recently. I recalibrated the refractometer with ro/di water and the result of my testing is 3.7% today in my main tank. It was 3.5% two weeks ago. I also had to adjust it from 3.8% to 3.5% back then.

Any idea why I get this increase?

I only add new saltwater at 3.5%, amino acids, kalkwasser for top-off prepared with ro/di water, ESV 2 Part system for alk and calcium, salifert trace elements for soft and hard corals and ESV strontium. I have added the same things for a long time and until recently I did not have issues with salinity.

Top off with RO/DI/Kalk. Nothing else is needed to top off. DO NOT add salt mix to top off. You are only evaporating water, not salt.
Dose Alk/Calcium seperatly ONLY if you test for them. Stop with trace elements, they are found in salt mixes and additional amounts are not needed.
Why strontium? Are you testing for it or over-dosing it? What makes you think that you need more then what is found in a decent salt mix?

Hope this helps :)

Jeff

All of your top off water should be with RO/DI fresh water, maybe mixed with Kalk, depending on your test results. The only time you should add saltwater is when replacing water you've removed during water changes.

I am mixing my Kalkwasser with ro/di water.

I will stop with the trace elements - I was on the fence with that anyway.

I test strontium and it is low compared to seawater levels (<6 ppm).

The kalkwasser and the trace elments should not add to the salinity, does it?

Re: Problems with high salinity - any ideas why?

[QUOTE
I only add new saltwater at 3.5%[/QUOTE]

When and how do you add the new saltwater??

Not knowing the size of the tank, amount of evaporation, what additives and how much of each, makes it hard to guess at what's happening. but since you say you are topping off with RO/DI, I'm guessing that it's occuring during your water changes.

Back