Prodibio + Seachem Denitrate: the ultimate solution for high nitrate in a nano-reef t

ResCogitans

Hey guys, I don't post very often but wanted, on this occasion, to share my story of the battle against high nitrates in my little nano (8 gal.)

I will spare you the boring details of the origin of my problem, suffice it to say it was the result of my "fishsitter" and her over-exuberance when feeding. Prior to this, I had kept nitrates at a respectable level (<2, salifert test) since the tank was set up. In September 2014, after I came back from a 3-week vacation, the levels has risen to 14 (Red Sea pro test kit).

I did not take drastic action, which we all know is a bad idea. I relied on regular water changes and cut back on coral feeding and amino acid dosing. The corals suffered as a result and after 4 weeks of no change in nitrate levels I decided to opt for a different approach. My tank runs with no skimmer and no sump. My options were limited. I came across Seachem Denitrate and was intrigued by the claims of the company. At the same time I noticed the prodibio range of products and examples of the stunning tanks that result from its use.

I decided to combine the two and see if it will make a difference. The Denitrate media requires low flow so I picked up a phosban 550 reactor to accommodate the media. Adjustable flow and the diffusion plate were just what I was looking for. The next step was to find a suitable pump. The Tunze universal mini was ideal, it is small and the flow can be adjusted. I filled up the reactor with ~400g of Denitrate and adjusted the output on both the pump and reactor until I reached a low rate of ~35 gph. I seeded the reactor with Prodibio (bio digest and bioptim) for about 8 weeks. All I could do at this point was keep my fingers crossed.

By December 2014 I was seeing some impressive results. Nitrates were at 5 and further reductions followed. By February 2015 the levels dropped to 0.2 and have remained there ever since. Even heavy feeding of both fish and corals never cause the levels to rise above 0.5. I am pleased and relieved with the results and hope that you guys can try this if you have high nitrates and a nano tank. This setup is ideal because it leaves a tiny footprint in the tank. The equipment list is restated below.

Phosban 550 reactor
500g of Seachem Denitrate
12mm tubing
Phosban reactor extension kit (who needs all that tubing?)
Prodibio bioptim and biodigest
Tunze universal pump mini
A little patience is required [emoji6]

I forgot to mention you need to run it with a digital timer, like a zeovit filter. 2 hours on and 2 hours off worked for me.

Back