Proper Lighting for 65g tank

FZ1Rider

I've been trying to find a good answer to this but it's still not clear to me. I have a 65 gallon tank that I will be setting up into a reef tank. I'm planning on getting a "Coralife Aqualight Advanced Tank-Mount, 1- 150 W 14,000K HQI" but there are so many options. I was thinking I might need more like 200W 10,000K (like the orbit units) but they're just so expensive.

Anyway any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Welcome to ReefCentral!
As far as the aqualight advanced goes, you probably will need 2 of these to light a 65 gallon because of how long it is. What kinds of corals do you plan to keep? Maybe T-5's would be a good choice if your eventually going to have some stony corals in your tank and especially sps corals. Aquatinics is a good company, and for only $100 more than the aqualight you can have a nice 48'' fixture.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=586
Another choice would be to DIY. Its very easy and you'll learn some great stuff too.

I'd agree that you would want two mh's on a tank that long. If you are looking to save money 4-6 t5's might be the way to go. Just make sure you buy something with INDIVIDUAL reflectors. It is supposed to make a big difference. Look up brands like current usa, orbit, maristar, hamilton, etc and you will find all sorts of lights.

I would have to dissagree with the above I own a 65 reef and they arent 48 inches across they are 36 so only one would be needed. I kinda went overboard above my 65 I have a 400 watt 15k MH and I supplement with 192 watts of power compact then lunar lights all run with the rk2

Ya I should have asked if it was a 36 or 48. I have a 48inch and one light would not have done it worked well. You have a ton of options between mh's and t5's or both. I found a light with both and figured I didn't want to upgrade again. Reefmatenate is the 400 overkill on your tank? I'm already finding myself moving things lower and lower in the tank already with my 2 150's! :)

Wow this board get's a lot of traffic. My post is on page 6 already. Anyway, I do have a 36" tank so I may go with my original choice. I really do like all the features of the orbit though, if I only I could get the funding request past the big boss (aka: wife). The T5 may be the nice in between.

For starters I'm probably going to be doing mostly soft corals, zoanthids and xenia's are definatley some of my first two picks. But later on I'll probably branch out.

Again thanks for all the info. I can't believe how much traffic this board gets compared to the other forums I'm on.

Sorry, I can't figure out why this link wont work but if you're interested, go to reefgeek.com then tek light fixtures the it is the second one

Back