protein skimmer help

Im kinda new to this but i have a protein skimmer i think its a oddysea not sure i bought just the skimmer itsself with no pump then i got a pump that came off a coralife super skimmer rated for 65 gallons its has the needle wheel with the mesh mod already made it seem to create bubbles and im getting skimate its like a tea green color and bearly any soids in it i can control the water output from the skimmer and i turned it down a lil bit but cant seem to get finer bubles does it need mor air to it or is it not a big enough pump ill post pics as soon as i can

Pics would help a lot.

Is the venturi (the thing where the airhose is connected) on the inlet or outlet side of the pump?

You get bubbles, so I assume that the airhose is not clogged?

Again, it would be a big help if you could post a pic

Hope this helps

Ivan

Yea im trying to get pics up but my phone wont let me so im gonna try to get on a comp but the air hose is in the inlet part it came off a coralife pump for a 65 gallon but the pump is a 500 gph i think and the oddysea skimmer is rated for a 160 gallon tank im pretty sure the pump is good enough but i would like smaller bubbles

should i put the air hose on the outlet of the pump?

should i put the air hose on the outlet of the pump?

NO!, because then the mesh wheel will not chop the air bubbles into smaller ones.

I really can't say what the problem could be, but your skimmate sounds right to me.

Whats your salinity at?......

Also, I have the feeling that your calc and alk levels help your skimmer too, but I'll wait untill some more expierienced reefers confirm that

Hope this helps

Ivan

Back