Protein Skimmer Size?

Li\/EWiRE

So I broke down my 180 Gallon system and now I am in the process of building a 90 gallon system. I plan on a 30 couple gallon sump so in theory I have 120 gallons. Minus Live Rock and the fact that the sump wont be full I am figuring on having about 100 gallons in the system maybe 115 with reactors and such.

I have an IceCap K2-200 Skimmer that is rated for a Heavy Bio Load for a 180 and the skimmer worked amazingly on my 180 that did not have a heavy bio load. So now my question?? Do you think the K2-200 on the 90 gallon reef will be overkill and or should I just run it a few hours a day so that the system has time to build up enough organics?

Just looking for some input as I really like the performance of this skimmer and would rather use it then sell it if it will do what I need on the 90.

Ive got a Bubble Magus Curve 5 on my 90 w/ roughly 100g total. Works really well.

Thanks for the info Robzilla04 but the Curve 5 is rated for a maximum of 120 gallons. My K2-200 is rated for a maximum of 300 gallons. If it was rated for 200 gallons I would not blink an eye and I would just move forward. But it is rated at 3 times my max. I think if I place a few tangs in the 90 (and I plan to do that) the bio load will be there for the skimmer to preform but I am just not for sure.

Keep the old one. I'm a big fan of "over skimming." I think manufacturers ratings are rather ambitious anyways. I always cut what they claim, at least in half. Plus if you are going from 180 to 90 gallons, I'll bet there will be a tendency to stock heavily and that skimmer would let you get away with it. I recently got a Tunze 9430 rated for 800 gallons setup on my 180 with 75 gallon sump and could not be happier. No negative affects at all and if there ever was I can put it on a timer or go nuts with fish!

I prefer overskimming also. Its better IMHO to use a skimmer that is a little bigger than one that's a little under. Keep what you have now it will work great and save you $

Thanks for the input. I will keep what I have and get the new sump ordered. I really appreciate all the input from everyone!

Ive got a Bubble Magus Curve 5 on my 90 w/ roughly 100g total. Works really well.

I've ran all kinds of skimmers over the past 20 years, spent thousands. This little skimmer is by far the best skimmer I have ever used.

Fwiw, my tank is 120 gal.

I am not a fan of over sizing a skimmer. There is just not enough gunk to make them work consistently so you either have a skimmer that only works when the water is very dirty or you are running it very wet.

i have an SRO 5000 on my 180...... its rated for 300-500 gallons heavy load... its a pain to dial in and stops skimming and then sometimes overflows... very difficult to dial in because its oversized. you might want to downgrade

If you like it then just continue to use it, maybe not ideal but it will work okay. 35 scfh and 4" neck on that skimmer isnt too much of overskimming for 90 gal tank

Back