Protein Skimmer Waste

dookie67

Is there a good use for protein skimmer waste? Being spring, I was thinking maybe I could thin it out and use it to fertilize my garden or flower beds. Or some other use. It seems to be a waste to dump it down the drain if it would have benefits elsewhere.

I always dump mine out int my compost area. I then use that dirt to grow vegetables it is just a natural fertilizer.

Thanks Lorenz. That's what I'll do. I figured there was a bunch of 'good stuff' in there. Maybe not too good for fish, but fertilizer.

I put it in my watering can and water my house plants. Works way better than miracle grow liquid.

Sent from somewhere using something.

I think the compost pile is a good idea, but I'd watch the salt level. Many plants don't do well with high salt levels. I guess it depends on the size of the compost pile, and the amount of skimmit you dump in it.

I probably put about a half cup of really black skim into about a gallon on water. Been doing it for a while now. Most of those fertilizer mixes have a lot of salts in them anyway. My books recommend flushing you plants out every few months anyway.

You guys are more daring than I am. I don't even like washing it into my sink and down the drain, let alone keeping it around and doing something with it. :uhoh3:

I probably put about a half cup of really black skim into about a gallon on water. Been doing it for a while now. Most of those fertilizer mixes have a lot of salts in them anyway. My books recommend flushing you plants out every few months anyway.

Fertilizers do not generally have large amounts of sodium chloride the way skimmate will. Of course, the dryer it is the less salt will be in it, but I agree that folks should be wary of the salt addition. You may do more harm than good.

Back