Protien Skimmer Dilemma

jjonesrjc

So I was lucky enough to pick up a nice 60g cube that had been in use at my LFS for 3 months. Its the marine land version with center overflow. I currently have a 53g cube that I will be transferring over to this setup. I did not have a sump on my previous setup but do have a diy 10g sump ready to go. My problem is that on my old tank I have been running a BH-2000 Reef Octopus and currently do not have the finances to replace this skimmer with an in sump version. Also as the cube has a center overflow I will not be able to place it on the back of the tank. I do however have the room and the correct water level to hang it on the sump as the way I built the stand the 2x4's are laid on their side which allows for the skimmer to hang properly on a 10g. Will I be ok with the skimmer setup this way or should I try and run it in sump. I believe but am not 100% certain that the pump for these skimmers is submersible.

Anyone? I tried test running it as I have been test running the system with tap water to check for leaks and manage my sound but it seemed like the skimmer was unable to produce a lot of bubbles is this because of the freshwater or is it due to the water level in the sump?

Anyone? I tried test running it as I have been test running the system with tap water to check for leaks and manage my sound but it seemed like the skimmer was unable to produce a lot of bubbles is this because of the freshwater or is it due to the water level in the sump?

Skimmers are not made for freshwater, that's why there is no bubbles or skimmate.

Try mixing some salt water and run it.

Best

Ok it works fine on my old setup which is still running I figured that was the issue. I'm still trying to figure out if the pump on a Reef Octopus BH-2000 is submersible? Or should I just hang it on the side of the sump. I wont be able to get an in sump till the holidays.

Back