Pseudocorynactis / Ball anemone spreading?

neededahobby

So one of my original 'cool' hitchhikers setting up the tank was a ball anemone
ballanemOriginal.jpg

Everything I read indicated that unless they got big or I had tiny fish they would be no problem so I let it be. (Actually watched new clown fish during initial adjust to tank brush right up against it - seemed to get a little 'shock' from the sticky balls but went back for another brush by and later took up hosting in rock above so I think the fish liked it/isn't bothered by it?)

6 months later I was looking at the tank at night and found it has suddenly seemed to spread - popping up in at least 3-4 more places. :headwally:

ballanem1.jpg
ballanem2.jpg

Now I need to decide - do I start trying to treat or Continue to watch and wait?

So far they are isolated away from any corals
Also I had a recent unrelated fish death/nutrient spike so I am curious if that initiated the spread and they will die back in time?

For those who have noticed these spreading - what did you do?
How bad did it get?

I never treated but their population exploded in my tank. I restarted for other reasons and they didn't come back. Initially I noticed one (just like you) and then about 8 months later there were probably about 100 all over the tank...

That doesn't look like any ball nem I've ever seen...

Looks more like a hydroid.

That's a Pseudocorynactis. They do spread, but I've never seen them hurt anything. I think they mop up residual floating fish food. I wish I had one in my current set up.

Definitely a Pseudocorynactis - bigger than it appears in the pic. Maybe dime sized tip to tip, Very light sensitive hard to get a good pic.

I have a few colonial hydroids on another rock - they are brown, much smaller (fuzzy pompoms) and don't seem to be spreading much.

Thanks everyone for replying -
sound like they really don't hurt anything so I am going live and let live.

However will be using the Aiptasia X I just got to take action on some other hitchhikers.

Back