Public Aquarium Job Opportunity

PierAquarium

I currenlty have a position open at The Pier Aquarium in downtown St. Petersburg. The position available is the "Lead Aquarist." The Lead Aquarist is responsible for the daily upkeep and husbandry of all live exhibits and reports directly to the curator of exhibits. This is a 32 hour per week position with a pay range of $9-$12 per hour depending on experience level. However, this position will most likely change into a full time position with benefits and holidays, so I would need the individual to be able to adapt to that. We do require a bachelor's degree with a science background. Typical job responsibilities involve and are not limited to:
-daily cleaning and maintenance of tanks
-live coral, elasmobranch, and teleost fish husbandry
-diet preparation
-field collection
-data collection
-teach and lead other part time aquarists and marine educators
-interaction with the public (the lead aquarist will fill in for marine education programs)

If you are interested, please contact me (Butch Ringelspaugh) at bringelspaugh@pieraquarium.org . I will also be able to provide a complete job description. I plan to have this position filled by the last week of this month, so applicants better act fast.

Thanks,
Butch

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14543053#post14543053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SoundsFishy2me2
Man that would be for me! It's what we do! Good job for a reefer!

No reefer on the job :bum:

so your basically saying that a $40,000 bachelor's degree is going to get you $24,000 a year???

That sounds like a deal to me!!!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14544497#post14544497 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by faze07hd
so your basically saying that a $40,000 bachelor's degree is going to get you $24,000 a year???

Thats what I was thinking....lol. Thats not much for even a high school graduate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14544497#post14544497 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by faze07hd

Aw come on, it's better than flipping burgers (or fish sandwiches). :D

(or singing in a freecreditrep0rt commercial) :rollface:

If you have never looked into it...the scientific and public aquaria industry on a whole pretty much pays jack $ * ! %. There are some exceptions to the rule, but it is not something you go into to get rich, you go into because you get to go to work every day saying "I LOVE MY JOB!"

I almost posted that but you beat me to it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14544622#post14544622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryan115
If you have never looked into it...the scientific and public aquaria industry on a whole pretty much pays jack $ * ! %. There are some exceptions to the rule, but it is not something you go into to get rich, you go into because you get to go to work every day saying "I LOVE MY JOB!"

id take a cut to be able to say that

I've met Butch and he's a super nice guy..

However.. that pay is insane. McDonalds pays more than that for a closer, without a high school diploma. To require a BS and pay that is insulting? trying not to be harsh, but.. let's get real..

Remove the BS requirement, and thats a FANTASTIC gig.

Would you take a pay cut to say that when you're just starting out in life with nothing but 50k in debt?

Science is Phd/MD or nothing when you really get into the salary averages.

This is a part-time job, its not bad for someone who can manage this and wait tables at night.

nice to see this thread is turning into one that was closed the other day...if you are not interested in the job nor know anyone that does..why even post???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14545259#post14545259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a2fire2i
nice to see this thread is turning into one that was closed the other day...if you are not interested in the job nor know anyone that does..why even post???

it's fun, makes for good conversation...:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14545259#post14545259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a2fire2i

+1

Yes, the job does not pay well, but it comes with the territory. You are not going to make the big bucks being a scientist. Besides, you would be surprised how competitive it is for a position in the aquarium and/or science world, even though they both offer terrible pay.

If someone would rather make a couple extra bucks working a meaningless job like macdonalds, catering to american obesity, I do not want them working for me. I want the person who will sacrifice a couple bucks in order to make something meaningful of their life while dedicating themselves to catering to the future of the planet we live on. I will have no problem finding plenty of people with these very aspirations.
Another way I like to look at it, is that if I had a different job that I made more money with, I would spend that money on the stuff that I get paid to do every day. To me, and 99% of the others in my field, life is all about doing what you love and are passionate about. Once you get to do a job that you love, there is no going back.

I forgot to mention that The Pier Aquarium is also a non-profit, as is The Florida Aquarium and many others, and I am able to offer my part timers far more than the latter in most cases.

too bad im a business major and still in school. I would love this job even though the pay isn't great. Do you have any part time positions like this available?

I agree with Butch on this one, something like that is not about making the big money it's about the passion of what you do or what you believe in. I worked as a planner & stock broker for one of the top companies in the industry, I was paid a very nice salary and commissions but had to wear a THREE piece suit in the summer and watch every thing I said and did for "the man" and freeze my tail off to go to the corporate office in Mn, Minnisota in January. (btw: this was many years ago.) You should do what you love doing, life is short! Some jobs are noble and not for everone! ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14546120#post14546120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PierAquarium
Yes, the job does not pay well, but it comes with the territory. You are not going to make the big bucks being a scientist. Besides, you would be surprised how competitive it is for a position in the aquarium and/or science world, even though they both offer terrible pay.

If someone would rather make a couple extra bucks working a meaningless job like macdonalds, catering to american obesity, I do not want them working for me. I want the person who will sacrifice a couple bucks in order to make something meaningful of their life while dedicating themselves to catering to the future of the planet we live on. I will have no problem finding plenty of people with these very aspirations.
Another way I like to look at it, is that if I had a different job that I made more money with, I would spend that money on the stuff that I get paid to do every day. To me, and 99% of the others in my field, life is all about doing what you love and are passionate about. Once you get to do a job that you love, there is no going back.

I forgot to mention that The Pier Aquarium is also a non-profit, as is The Florida Aquarium and many others, and I am able to offer my part timers far more than the latter in most cases.

Great point-If I worked on an aquarium all day and made 24k-I would not feel the desire to sink all the money I do now into my tank-so you really cant look at it like its 24k-its 24k+everything I am currently spending on my tank(even the stuff my wife doesn't know about:D )

I have only worked jobs that I thought gave me the most pay-security-I have no idea what having a job I love is really like...hard to place a value on something like that.

Thank you for taking the time to post this job on our forum...I hope you find someone of quality to fill the position. One thing is for sure-I will envy that person regardless of their salary.

Best of luck.

Back