Pump for a 54 corner bow?

Southern Boy

I'm building a sump for my new 54 corner bow front.I'm putting a closed loop on it also.My sump will be 14-15 gallons at operating compacity.I.m trying to keep my return pump dry.What size return pump to use.It used to run off a mag 9.5.But that ran the skimmer and u.v. also.My skimmer will have its own pump and I won't have a u.v.I would like to use a mag 7 on it.Should that be enough?

What about the quiet one? I used to have one of the older styles and loved it.Any input on the newer ones?Thinking on the 3000 model.A mag 7 loses to much to head loss.Would only get about 400 gph out of a 7.I can get 700 out of a quiet one 3000.

I've got a Mag 9.5 for a return on mine, and I run it with a SCWD. I don't think a Mag 7 will give you enough "oomph". I'm not familiar with the Quiet One pumps, sorry!

i have a mag 7 on my 54 corner. its not alot of flow in the tank but it seems to be pushing my overflow to its max.

Well I don't think I want to much oonph.I'm doin a closed loop with 2 scwd on it.I'm plannin on a mag 9.5 on that.I think I want to keep my flow through my sumo down a little.Not sure yet though.My biggest problem with the 9.5 is the size of the pump and only having a 3/4" inlet.I have very little room to run my return pump dry and I'd like to have a 1" diameter suction going into the sump.I could do it but I would have to get a 3/4" m/t x 1"f/s adapter and glue a piece of 1" like 2" long right into the bulkhead in the side of the sump.That would leave me with no way to work on the pump.If I have a !" inlet I can put a 1" barb bulkhead and a 1"barb adapter in the pump with a small piece of flex in the middle.That way if I need to do maintenance on the pump I can put a cap on the pvc inside the sump and take the flex out.I'm really tryin to stear away from putting a pump in the sump.The quiet one has a 1" intake and discharge,upts out 700 gph with no headloss and uses 40 watts compared to the mag 9.5's 90 watts.I like the mags.They are what I use on my 180.But one of the reasons I'm downsizing is the power bill.So still not sure.I hope to here from somrone about theses quiet ones.

This is the sump I'm building.I will be changing some things.I will be putting a flat section on the inside corner .The middle section will be my return section and my pump will sit in that opening in themiddle.There being my problem.I only have 7"From my doorframe to the flat spot where the bulkhead will be.
lastscan.jpg

Back