Pump recommendations for salt mixing

I use an old MJ1200 with a DIY propeller from way before they came out with the mod kits for them. I don't use the guard either, just the pump and the prop. Churns water like no tomorrow in a 32 gallon Brute can.

Only draw back (if you call it that) is I need to hold the prop in place when I start it so it spins the right way. After it starts, I just leave it.

I know I need to keep it agitated/aerated but I need some help on pump recommendations.

FWIW, unless a salt mix has organic matter in it (like a few salt mixes do, or used tank water), there is no reason to keep it agitated or aerated after the initial mixing.

I keep normal IO unstirred for weeks and it is fine. It would likely be fine for decades. :)

You want to set it up so that it helps mix your ingredients as well as keep the water moving...a strong pump mounted in a way that it points the flow at the bottom of the brute..I use 2, one mixes, and the other is connected to the sump via PVC and is used to pump fresh saltwater to the tank.

You want to set it up so that it helps mix your ingredients as well as keep the water moving...a strong pump mounted in a way that it points the flow at the bottom of the brute..I use 2, one mixes, and the other is connected to the sump via PVC and is used to pump fresh saltwater to the tank.

That sounds like the best way to go. I think I will use my mini sump pump with a diverter for the initial mix, and a small pond pump to keep it agitated until I am ready for my water change. That mini sump pump will then be used for pumping water to the first floor. It's hard to find an all plastic pump that can handle the head pressure and long run I needed....without breaking the bank.

Just got my BRS package in today with the float valve and Dual DI Resin filter. I should be up and running shortly!!

One other thought, I will change my setup to an external mixing/circ pump once the one I have now fails. Reason is that while the floating pump is great to manipulate by hand for quick mixing, it's hard to keep the pump going and not vibrate against the bucket or internal PVC, it's mucho annoying to me. So I will change over to a single, large pump and setup PVC w diverted valves and use one pump for mixing/circ/and pump out duty... Food for thought...I was in a budget when I setup so I used what I had and threw it together, after using it for a while, some things I'll change. Make sure you keep the mix bin remove able for cleaning if it's in a tight area, no matter what I do I get a brown film algae in the alt water bin after a few uses..

and a small pond pump to keep it agitated until I am ready for my water change.

Why?

I should have clarified...I bought the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals to save a few dollars since I am only cycling my tank right now. I heard it doesn't mix up as well as the better ones. I take it that this may not matter??

IO is a fine mix. It is what I use, although I bump the magnesium in it manually.

I was focusing on the agitation, which is not needed after the initial mixing when using IO and many other mixes. :)

Back