Pump recommendations for salt mixing

firemountain

Everyone,

I am getting ready to install a float valve in my 30g Brute garbage can and mix up my first batch of saltwater. I know I need to keep it agitated/aerated but I need some help on pump recommendations. What size pump do I need for good enough flow?

I have 2 old fountain pumps but I think they are too small for the job, something like 19w and cheap overseas stuff. I don't care how loud it is...and not looking to break the bank either.

Also.....what's the best way to soak/flush out my old pumps ( vinegar/water mix or use a bleach/water mix)? I can use them to pump my new batch of salt water back into the tank when I do water changes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Taam RIO are very affordable.

which pump to choose will depend on where you put the Brute/DT. How far/high does the water have to pump up?

mine pumps the water 6ft up into my tank. I use a Sicce 3. It's complete overkill. i think sicce 2 is good enough

Taam RIO are very affordable.

which pump to choose will depend on where you put the Brute/DT. How far/high does the water have to pump up?

mine pumps the water 6ft up into my tank. I use a Sicce 3. It's complete overkill. i think sicce 2 is good enough

I guess it's more cost effective to buy 1 pump strong enough to serve as a double duty. First to keep the water circulated....and secondly to pump the water to my DT for water changes.

The garbage can will be in the basement and my DT is on the 1st floor. I am figuring on an 8 ft vertical lift from the garbage can to the beams, then approx. 5 ft. of horizontal travel in the basement, then followed by another 4 ft. Of a vertical lift to hit the DT.

***Also....can I get away with flexible tubing for this to make for an easier install, or do I have to go with rigid piping?

Thanks again
Dom

i have a 55 gallon barrel and use a Seio 1500 to mix the salt and keep the water moving. and for water transfer i use a MJ1200 to pump water out of the tanks and then us the same to pump water back in. Long hose/tube is a must.

I guess it's more cost effective to buy 1 pump strong enough to serve as a double duty. First to keep the water circulated....and secondly to pump the water to my DT for water changes.

The garbage can will be in the basement and my DT is on the 1st floor. I am figuring on an 8 ft vertical lift from the garbage can to the beams, then approx. 5 ft. of horizontal travel in the basement, then followed by another 4 ft. Of a vertical lift to hit the DT.

***Also....can I get away with flexible tubing for this to make for an easier install, or do I have to go with rigid piping?

Thanks again
Dom

You are going to need a sizeable pump to go 12 foot head. I'd say like an Eheim 1260.

I agree a large pump is needed if you need double duty. mag 12+ would be a good pump just for the head alone. You can install a tee in the line coming off of it with 2 valves to direct the flow to either mix the Brute or fill the tank. Plumbing inside the Brute also along with to the tank obviously..

Imo the more turbulence you have in the mixing bucket the better.. I use a sicce syncra 4 in a 55g for mixing and pumping out of the Brute into containers for my change. I've used a mag 3 in the past with 1" vinyl tubing to the tank also. Slow but it worked.

Used to use an old Mag-5. I stopped because it was heating the water up way too much. Now I'm using an old Maxi-Jet. Much better.

I have a mag 5 for my 55g mixing container. I use a mj1200 for water going in and out of the tank.

Whatever you can find on CL or from your local reef club. I agree that you will need a Mag 12, or larger, to get it upstairs. You can get 3/4" to garden hose adapters at Home Depot or Lowes in the sprinkler section - you can use a garden hose. A Mag 12 will also heat the water for you. :)

If you just want to mix, then a korallia or Mag3 (or larger) will be fine.

Thanks guys. Alternatively.....What about using 1 brute container on each floor, and using a smaller pump to go from the 1st to 2nd floor....and then bring that same pump upstairs to pump the water into the tank. A Mag 5 or 7 would probably suffice versus going with a mag 12. Any thoughts???

Dom

to go from levels in a house, couldnt you use a sump pump that you would use to vent water from a sump in your house? I have one and it pumps like crazy.

Thanks guys. Alternatively.....What about using 1 brute container on each floor, and using a smaller pump to go from the 1st to 2nd floor....and then bring that same pump upstairs to pump the water into the tank. A Mag 5 or 7 would probably suffice versus going with a mag 12. Any thoughts???

Dom

most people set it up for convenience. Why would you want to unplug a pump and bring it up stairs every time?

you can look at external pumps. get a big one and pump your whole system.

most people set it up for convenience. Why would you want to unplug a pump and bring it up stairs every time?

you can look at external pumps. get a big one and pump your whole system.

Initially my biggest concern was a heat issue...I only have a 65g and my 10-15 % water changes are gonna be smaller. I figured that with a bigger submersible pump like a mag 12, I would be over heating the water...and did not want to initially invest in a chiller.

I didn't figure on an external since what I had read and seen on YouTube, that the majority were using submersibles for their mixing stations. But maybe for my application, an external would be the better choice.

I did a salt tank over 20 years ago, and this is my first jump back into the hobby. ALOT has changed since then.

Thanks everyone for your input...it is truly appreciated!!

D

FWIW, I have two pumps in my water change container. A very small powerhead to keep the water moving while it sits; and a second, larger pump to get the water up into the display.

Back