Purple cap...is it bleaching?

Have you tested alk...what are your levels...calc? mg? Also is it sliming at the end or breaking? WC will not hurt and can only help if done correctly. Correctly I mean don't shock system with different temp, also if it is RO/DI water.

Will take pic and check levels soon.
No it isn't breaking....also a new frag of chalice is dying too..all
This happened after I did zoa fragging and removed some zoa and a clown to give to a friend.
Thx, all....

If you did it right after fragging the zoa, the zoa may have released toxins into your tank. Would perform a water change and run some carbon to see if that helps.

Have you looked for monti eating nudis yet? They can be hard to see but they only prey on montiporas, so that would not be what is affecting the chalice.

These are current,Before pics ,situation hasn't worsened....
I have ~65g of sw....i have 20g of new sw ready...can I do a wc with 20g?
I do wc every 3 weeks.time for wc anyway.... Thx

Doing alk test trow
2011-05-12_23-00-14_789.jpg

shared_photo.jpg

I would also guess that it may be the anemone below it stinging it, however that wouldn't explain the chalice havig problems. Have you changed bulbs or in the need for new ones?

You guys may be right....hmmm...didn't know nem can sting sps.

That chalice frag had 3 mouths....one is gone, other is has a crack, third is ok.it might strive.
Lfs guy told that it was a fresh frag...like 1x1"....before it healed I took it....

If I move or sell the nem, can I handle him, will he sting me? He seems stuck in rock....
Is it easy to pull him from the rock?

Also guys it so happened that the nem moved 3mo ago to where the duster was....apparently the duster seems fine...lol

No didn't change any lighting....

You can move your anemone and the sting really won't hurt unless it gets the soft part of your arm. Be very careful not to tear the foot when trying to move it. You could also point a power head on it and see if it moves by itself. The problem is that it will go where it wants to. It moves to the best location for its survival (light and flow).
I think if the anemone was the problem, it would only bleach where the anemone is touching it.
The chalice may be just be stressed from moving before it was healed. These could two isolated incidences. I would look for monti eating nudis like I said before. Do you have any other montiporas in the tank?

Nems will move until they find a location that suits their water flow and light requirements. They can be tough to move though, because when they attach, their foot basically forms a hydraulic vacuum on the substrate--if you just try to pull it lose it will tear the nem and cause a lot of damage. I've heard of people using the edge of a credit card to gentle pry the foot lose. From what I've seen, when the edge starts coming off then it will let go. Also heard of people using a power head to blow right on the foot--kind of irritates it and makes it let go.

As far as stinging, yes they do sting and just about anything. They are all Cnidarians which is the phylum of animals that have stinging cells for defense and prey capture. As far as it stinging you the answer is--it could. It depends on species and how sensitive you are to the stings. Even if you are sensitive, generally it feels no worse than a small rash, however if you are allergic to bee/wasp stings, I would take cautions against being stung such as latex gloves or such.

HTH

It may not be the anemone (it's a Condylactis Gigantea and a really nice looking one), but wouldn't it just be easier to move the Chalice? As Potterjon said that nemmie is going to go where he wants. To me it does look like it's burned on and near the edge where the nemmie is touching it.

Back