Purple Lobster

In Deep Water

In Memoriam
Just picked up a purple lobster. These creatures are absolutley beautiful. I highly reccomend them. Great personality as well.:D

I fyou have a cave that has basically one entrace you can get him to come out on occasion to where you can see him. He is a bit of a danger to other inhabitants of your reef so keep a close eye, especially if stuff starts showing up missing.

I have one and have had it for years. He is purple and orange and just gorgeous. A purple pseudo got too close once and I found him beheaded.

I have one as well. Ihave had mine for about a year, luckly he made his home on the side of my 125 and i see him whenever i look back there. Great little guy, very shy though, ive never seen him out in the open.

Caution must be taken when incorporating into a reef aquarium, as it may harm small fish and invertebrates.

Cut an pasted from Live Aquaria for what it is worth.

I personally don't think so. Mine basically ate anything I put in after I added it that it could, including peppermint shrimp and an anemone. I ended up deciding to give it back to the LFS, as cool as it was.

If it's a debelius that looks like this:
20899lobster.jpg

They are generally reef safe, at least mine is. It's very cryptic though, and I only see its molts.

They are not really common in the hobby, though other lobsters are. I wouldn't trust any of the other lobsters.

Mine has never done any damage to anything. But the only times I have seen it was the day after I got it, and I've seen it's claws grabbing mysis shrimp that I feed to the sun polyps on 3 occassions. This is all I have seen of it in the 4 months I have had it. Well, I see it's molts every now and then which is good because then I know it is still alive. I have even staked out the tank at night in hopes to see it with no luck.

Yea they are pretty shy. He actually set up shop on the side of the aquarium as well. He can hide all he wants....as long as I can sneak a peak every so often.

Mine hid in a rock throughout the day but I could usually still see it. It came out at night though

Back