Purple pvc cement primer

Newms118

Anyone know what chemical I can use to clean up my pvc joints after cementing? I wiped them excess glue and purple primer off as best I could but there's a few smudges of purple I'd like to remove.

dont worry about it...if you are that concerned with the way the pipes look paint them..( or dont be so messy...lol) most products used to clean "prep" the pipes will smudge the black ink on the pipes and dull the finish on the pipes making them look unattractive anyway...

I would try to use the magic eraser. But just go light on the stuff buddy then after you press the joints in run your finger around the edge. Thats what I did when I did plumbing worked great.

They make clear cleaner so you don't get the purple drip lines

Agreed! Use the clear cement if you don't want any purple coloration. The purple cement is used for building inspectors that are looking to see if your plumbing has been properly cemented together per local building codes...

Agreed! Use the clear cement if you don't want any purple coloration. The purple cement is used for building inspectors that are looking to see if your plumbing has been properly cemented together per local building codes...

"Purple cement" is purple primer, which is a fast acting primer to soften and prepare all pvc and cpvc pipe and fittings.

Best way to keep the stains off the pipe is to not use that junk. There is no reason under the sun, to use a "primer/cleaner" on new pipe that has never been used. (meaning buried in the ground.) Code calls for primer/cleaner on 4" pipe or larger only (not called out for pipes smaller than that,) and primer does not make the glue joint any better, or any worse, than it would be if not used, unless the pipe is extremely old and/or dirty. The claims by plumbers (including so called "master" plumbers) and lay persons on this topic are complete nonsense, sponsored by the "glue manufacturers, because they could not sell primer/cleaner. Legislation for purposes of profit. Proper solvent welding technique produces leak free joins primer or not, poor solvent welding technique produces leaky joins, primer or not. Simple logic tells what is true here.

Back