Purple Up

poweraid

Does anyone know if Purple Up has a shelf life? There is no expiration date on the bottle. it has been stored in a cool dry place for about a year. was wondering if it's okay to use.

It's fine to use, although it's actually not very useful. It's effectively mostly fine sand, and won't do anything.

sorry man, these guys pretty much told you the reef equivalent to Santa not being real. most of the products sold for reefing are a rip off.

Really? I have been out of the hobby for quit a while now as there are no reef supply stores within a hundred miles of were I live. This stuff was like liquid gold. All of the local reef stores were i used to live said it was the best. Sad.....

Unfortunately, it can't actually do very much. It will add a very small amount of calcium, iodine, and maybe magnesium, but not enough to be worth anything.

If you're trying to get your coraline growing, as long as you already have some present, you might try using some kalkwasser in your top off. You can usually find Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime at Walmarts or other similar stores, I get mine at Ace Hardware.

All of the local reef stores were i used to live said it was the best. Sad.....

That's what the product rep told the LFS manager, and that's what the manager told his employees. If any of them ever took a 101-level class in oceanography they would be instantly aware of why it isn't true.

Caveat emptor.

If you want to use pickling lime, better stock up now. Stores quit stocking it after the fall canning season is over.

I've heard bad things about the product but I've had lots of success using it in some tanks and none in others. I had a 54g corner tank w/ virtually no coraline algae on the LR but used a capful of Purple up once a day and virtually overnight the coraline in my tank would grow. I never dose my tanks w/ anything but decided to use it. It worked great in that tank. But i've tried using it in other tanks and nothing. I guess it's a hit-or-miss type of thing. I don't use it anymore though. Just dose calcium.

Purple Up

I used this in the beginning not really sure if it did anything or not. But be careful what you wish for. I started using kalk and now i have all the purple algae i need and want. Constant scrapping.:headwalls:

i have been out of the hobby for a few years now but can't wait to get back in. It's good to know that i can count on the RC family for good advice. thanks all :beer:

dont use anything and just have some patience. after 4 months it will be all over your tank. driving me nuts scraping it off the glass now

Purple up is a liquid form of Aragamight. It is a balanced calcium and buffering supplement with no shelf life. Notably aragamight is the only supplement used by Tropicorium.com in their aqauculture facility. It is also the only calcium supplement I've used int this tank for the last 4 1/2 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eckf4Jne40

Back