PVC cement question

I found this in case anyone else wants to know.

After joining the pipes you must hold them together for 30 seconds until the plastic hardens or they can slip apart. It takes another 15 minutes for the joint to harden to a point at which it can withstand water pressure and two hours to fully cure.
What Is the Cure Time for PVC Cement? | Hunker
https://www.hunker.com/12000141/what...for-pvc-cement

most of the PVC cements i have used have directions on the side. i'm not sure if they're all specific to the product (most sound in the ballpark of what you described), but i usually go for a full 24hr cure before putting the newly glued pieces in to use. they're typically water tight after 1 - 2 hours, but i assume there are still VOCs being released from the glue for a little while at least.

usually by the 24 mark the smell has died down considerably, and that's my cue that they're good to go.

Yes I agree. Water tight after an hour or so but I waited 24 hours before running water just to be safe. In reality it's not a lot of time to wait at all and ensures nothing harmful is put into the tank

I would agree.^ A lot of things continue to shed chemicals for a bit until they cure out. The purple glue is particularly suspect.

Back