PVC pipe vs Vinyl Tubing

For short distances, I like vinyl- but I have a basement tank. Once it's solidly in place, it reduces head loss from bends and no messy PVC glue and checking for leaks.

Unfortunately, unless you use opaque flex tube, the clear vinyl is a fine place to grow algae if any light hits it.

I use both.
You can use pvc flex tubing which is a double braided clear tubing.
I've got a manifold on my fuge/sump and display made from PVC pipe and they are all tied together with PVC double braided tubing.
They both have pros and cons.
I like the flexability of the flexible tubing along with the clean install of the PVC pipe. That's why I used both.
PVC pipe and fitting is probably a lil cheaper but it's also more difficult if you need to service the system or make modifications.
The PVC tubing is clear so you can see what going on inside. If you had a low spot or a clog developing, or maybe air bubbles in the line. You can see where they're at and possibly what causing the problem.
Many people use unions to make easy access to pvc pipe. My experience, which is extensive, is that union are sometimes hard to get a good seal and are prone to slow leaks. The more it's used the more it's likely to leak.
I could slide my whole sump about a foot if not more in any direction without giving a second thought to my plumbing. Try doing that with a hard-plumbed pvc pipe setup.

I prefer using Tubing. I hate going to Home Depot and trying to find all the PVC couplers, elbows, etc that i need. We had to go 5 times just to plumb this 180g. Plus with tubing its super easy to just cut it and install a tee for something else.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12618398#post12618398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by frank2926
you can use Flexible PVC that is available at Home Cheapo. It eliminates the need for most 45 or 90's.

The braided stuff is not flexible pvc. It is reinforced tubing. Hence the name. lol :)
Reinforced Vinyl Tubing.

http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=4&ptid=19&pid=36

Ya, The first two pics are of PVC double braided tubing, and the last pic is of flexhose. I Use PVC Pipe and Double braided tubing. the double braided tubing is flexible and has the word PVC stamped on it.
For what it's worth I think the flex-hose is worthless and I would never use it.
PVC pipe and Double Braided tubing is good stuff.

Last edited:
Also I should throw in that Un-reinforced vinyl tubing is worthless as far as plumbing a tank goes. It comes in handy for air tubes and maybe a drawtube for a dosing pump but thats about it.

Ya, The first two pics are of PVC double braided tubing, and the last pic is of flexhose. I Use PVC Pipe and Double braided tubing. the double braided tubing is flexible and has the word PVC stamped on it.
For what it's worth I think the flex-hose is worthless and I would never use it.
PVC pipe and Double Braided tubing is good stuff.

Playa-1,
When connecting your pvc flex tubing to your pvc pipe, are you using barbed fittings or can they be glued?? Not that I would want to glue them I'm just curious.
I am under the impression that there is a pvc tubing that is opaque white that can be glued to pvc. I think its called "spa flex". Are you familiar with this product?

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. I appreciate the input!!

I like the flexible tubing better than PVC. Having some wiggle room in the plumbing is nice when you need to shift something to get better access or accommodate a new piece of equipment. Further, using joints or Ts with hose barbs instead of PVC glue allows insertion or removal of pieces without cutting joints or pipe sections.

Most aquarium plumbing is simpler, cleaner, and less obstructive with flexible hose than with PVC.

Argh it's slightly confusing.

I'm under the impression that FLEX PVC is > vinyl tubing
Flex PVC is also > rigid PVC

Might make a new thread about this .. but my question is :
Aside from price, what is the benefits of rigid PVC over Flexible PVC ?

Something to do how it'll attach to a bulkhead ??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12618398#post12618398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by frank2926
you can use Flexible PVC that is available at Home Cheapo. It eliminates the need for most 45 or 90's.

The braided stuff is not flexible pvc. It is reinforced tubing. Hence the name. lol :)
Reinforced Vinyl Tubing.

http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=4&ptid=19&pid=36

OK just got back from H.D. recon. . The options seem to be:
1) PVC pipe
2) Reinforced Vinyl Tubing
3) PVC Tubing
4) Spa Flex

#'s 2&3 look nearly identical as they both have the "reinforcement braid" molded into their structure. The only difference I noted was that Reinforced Vinyl tubing had a listed Operating Pressure of 200psi and the PVC tubing had an O.P. of 100psi. However they did not have comparable diameters in stock, which could explain the difference in O.P. .
Spa Flex is opaque white, semi rigid and can be glued to "regular" PVC fittings, (elbows, reducers, etc.).
What does all this mean?? Lots of options.
Now I guess I'll chew on this for a while, listen to opinions and hopefully get enlightened.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12622503#post12622503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by styndall
I like the flexible tubing better than PVC. Having some wiggle room in the plumbing is nice when you need to shift something to get better access or accommodate a new piece of equipment. Further, using joints or Ts with hose barbs instead of PVC glue allows insertion or removal of pieces without cutting joints or pipe sections.

Most aquarium plumbing is simpler, cleaner, and less obstructive with flexible hose than with PVC.

I see the definite advantage of being able to move things around with the flexible plumbing.
One of my concerns is that barbed connectors seem to have considerably smaller I.D. than the tubing it connects to.
As a firefighter we have to be aware of "friction loss" in our hoses. I'm bringing this mentality to my aquarium.
So now I question wether the barb connections in tubing create more "friction loss" vs the 90's & 45's used with pipe.

Maybe I should quit trying to "split the atom" ???

Playa-1,
When connecting your pvc flex tubing to your pvc pipe, are you using barbed fittings or can they be glued?? Not that I would want to glue them I'm just curious.
I am under the impression that there is a pvc tubing that is opaque white that can be glued to pvc. I think its called "spa flex". Are you familiar with this product?

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. I appreciate the input!! [/B][/QUOTE]

The double braided tubing and the pvc tubing are almost identical if not identical. I use a plastic hose barbs and plastic pvc fittings to make any connections. I use hose clamps as a safe guard.
I'm not a fan of spaflex hose. It's just a personal preference thang.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12624843#post12624843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alonso216
I see the definite advantage of being able to move things around with the flexible plumbing.
One of my concerns is that barbed connectors seem to have considerably smaller I.D. than the tubing it connects to.
As a firefighter we have to be aware of "friction loss" in our hoses. I'm bringing this mentality to my aquarium.
So now I question wether the barb connections in tubing create more "friction loss" vs the 90's & 45's used with pipe.

While I don't have any good data comparing relative flow obstruction in straight PVC joints and flexible tube with smaller-diameter barbs, I haven't experienced any significant difference in water velocity between PVC and tubing (though I'll have to cop to having had very little PVC in my system in the first place). I figure that the friction loss I experience with my hose barbs is balanced by the lack of 45 and 90 degree elbows. If I were working with really critical systems like fire hoses, I'd run tests about relative flow rates with PVC and hose, but in my aquarium, the hose performs just fine.

The relative performance is close enough that I made my choice based on ease of connection and modification.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12625478#post12625478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by styndall
While I don't have any good data comparing relative flow obstruction in straight PVC joints and flexible tube with smaller-diameter barbs, I haven't experienced any significant difference in water velocity between PVC and tubing (though I'll have to cop to having had very little PVC in my system in the first place). I figure that the friction loss I experience with my hose barbs is balanced by the lack of 45 and 90 degree elbows. If I were working with really critical systems like fire hoses, I'd run tests about relative flow rates with PVC and hose, but in my aquarium, the hose performs just fine.

The relative performance is close enough that I made my choice based on ease of connection and modification.

Point taken. So much for splitting the atom!!:rollface:

I prefer to use PVC for drain plumbing but prefer to use the black vinyl tubing for my return pumps. The vinyl makes it easier to detach or move my pump if necessary. It also keeps me from having any hard turns which decrease my head pressure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12624843#post12624843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alonso216

You could always step up the size of the hose to accomidate.

Ie, if you have a 3/4in outlet on your pump, use some PVC fittings to step it up to 1in and then use a 1in Hosebarb. I'd imagine that the ID of a 1in hosebarb is probably about 3/4in.

Back