PVC siliconed to acrylic -- 1 year later, how to remove

Well, tried the hacksaw blade. I might be able to cut one of the PVC pieces in about 3 hours! I just can't get to it with both hands to apply good pressure and/or have enough room to maneuver. So, it's back to the drawing board.

Prying them off might be what I have to do, in the end. I just need to get the right sized screwdriver that has a slim enough blade end, to get underneath them, but strong enough to pry it.

Any other ideas?

i think you just need to break that "viscosity" bond thing that's going on, the caulk itself isn't going to be that strong. i think the screwdriver idea is the right principle, get a wedge in there and break the bond. i'd try a 1 1/2" or 2" plastic putty knife, maybe sharpen the edge just to get it in the gap, and try to hammer it flat in between the surfaces. once it wedges in, they should just seperate. a rubber mallet may be the most managable hammer here, you're not going to be able to get lot of velocity with it but probably won't need it.

good luck!
if you can get it in and they don't just pop apart, try twisting the putty knife. that applies a lot more force than prying with it.

Thanks, I have tried a putty knife, but I didn't sharpen the edge. I don't know about getting a mallet in there, but I might see if I can find one that is smaller than what I have and try again.

I'd use a metal putty knife and a small dead blow hammer to try to get under it. How about a rubber strap wrench to try and twist it off?

Anyone else think silicone wont stick to acrylic?:D

Or bend a hacksaw blade to give you a hockey stick shape, then sharpen that end and keep dragging it around the inside to cut the seal. (?)

I like the strap wrench idea. I'll have to try that. I tried the bent hacksaw, but that was to cut the PVC, not try to break the seal. Another great idea. I'll try those this weekend.

It's been a while, but I did pick up a strap wrench and tried it today. No go. I was pulling that thing pretty %&*$# hard too!

Next is the sharpened scraper and mallet. I'll update again when I get a chance to try that.

LOL...no kidding! I never thought the stuff would hold like this! It's better than Super Glue on the construction guy's helmet!

Sounds like you must be halucinating. Silicon won't adhere to acrylic! :) Just thought I'd throw in a little levity as I've read that so many times here. It would be interesting to find out what happened to cause such a strong bond.

Well, I won't completely reject the hallucinating part, as there were just a "few" empty bottles of various adult beverages this past weekend, however, I did manage to not fall into the tank while working on it!
:bum:

HAHAHA!
Seriously though, if you find out how it happened you could make a fortune. Well maybe not but it'd be cool. I saw some silicon by the acrylic sheets in HD that claims to stick to both glass and acrylic but I don't know if it's reef safe.

Don't use monofilament fishing line, use the new braided fishing lines.
476190061.jpg

I might try those again, although the problem is being able to get both hands in the tank to hold and work the line (or saw blade). I might have to rig up some type of handle that lets me work on them.

I have a similar problem with some epoxy on my overflow box. It was a pain to get it to stick, now it won't come off! :( I tried razor blades, and sawing with a knife. Mine is totally accessible. What a pita!

gl!
-A

You'll have to use a hacksaw / grinder to remove epoxy. Its too solid for razors and such.

Well, I was finally able to remove the four corner (smaller) pieces. The two larger pieces are still there, but I'll tackle them later. In the end, it was simply a matter of leverage (and a big wrench!)

I started by cutting a notch in the top of the PVC piece. My plan was to then use my PVC pipe cutters and start cutting slits/slots down the top of the PVC. Then, I was going to try to break off these pieces and just bury the rest.

While trying to cut a good slot in the first one, it eventually popped off. That's when I realized that I just needed the leverage and a long handled wrench, such as vise grips.

So, using my longest pair of vise grip type plyers, I grabbed the side (from the top) and pushed down (across the top of the PVC). Lo and behold, they popped off. Of course, it wasn't that easy and took a lot of effort and about an hours worth of work, but the corners are off.

I may tackle the larger pieces before my next water change.

Back