PVC vs HOSE

jherrin215

GO COLTS!!
I've seen the discussion about whether to use rigid PVC or flex PVC for plumbing your tank. My question is why not use regular clear hose? My original tank setup just used hose and plastic hosebarbs to put everything together and I didn't see any problems. Does anyone know a reason I shouldn't do this again before I hit up Lowes?? Thanks

I use the PVC for return pump as they don't move that much but I have my hose connect to the overflow box as it's flexible to bend around corners and cleaning the sump

Thanks sass. The hose I would use definitely won't kink but the algae this I can see. Would is be acceptable to use some type of hose that's not clear so that it won't get light in it to grow algae?? The problems I'm having with PVC is that I have to run it up from the basement and where I need to come up through the floor is right beside my AC ductwork. I was hoping I might be able to get around it better by using hose, but I may just need to take my time and do it with PVC if that's the best route.

For long runs I would definitely use PVC. PVC prepped and glued properly you'll have no worries of leaks etc.. flexible vinyl hose has the algae issue and over time becomes hard and can even become brittle. Plus hose clamp connections are source for possible leaks. It great for short runs where you can easily check and replace as needed, but that's the only time I feel safe using it.

I think I may run PVC up into the stand then convert to tubing. The fittings on the tank are all hose barbs and I don't wanna take them all loose. None leak now so I don't wanna start a problem!!

Back