Q and A about sump/refugium, etc...

ek9vboi

Hey guys and girls... can you answer some questions that I have?

About my sump/refugium:
1) How deep of a sand bed should I have for my refugium?
2) My return flow is going to be around 87-145 (most likely 145gph), how big of diameter piping should I be using? My return U-tube is 3/4"
3) Would it be ok to use established sand from someone else's tank in my sump? As in will the bacteria and so on have a problem with each other since the sand is from two different tanks?
4) How thick should my glass baffles be?

Other questions:
1) Is it ok just to put base rock right into an established tank already? As in will there be any problems like cycling the tank again.

I think thats about it for now... please let me know! Thanks

1. I have a barebottom tank so i don't use any, but when i did have a sand tank i used 3" in my Fuge....but you can use anywhere between 2 to 5".
2. For a pump that small you can use 1/2" pipe.
3. You can, but i would use new sand.
4. you can use any thickness from 1/8" on up.

as long as the baserock is clean from any dead things you can add it right into the tank with no problems.

1.) However deep you want.... less sand = more water volume... 3" is a fair number

2.) 1/2"

3.) You could use sand from YOUR tank or from another tank. Or pet stores sell LS that is already established (in a bag)

4.) 1/4" to be on the safe side (1/8" I feel is a little to flimsy)

Thanks for the info. I will be hanving the glass cut on monday and then begin the process of assembling the sump/refugium.

The deepness of the sand is controversial, but if you want denitrification which is the only reason I can think of for a deep sand bed unless you want your corals closer to the light you should go with 5 inches. If not, don't put any or just an inch would do or whatever looks good because that is all it will accomplishing.

Personally, I would be very cautious in buying sand from a LFS unless you know the owner very, very well and he is giving you the sand from a reef tank or a reef system or from one of his fuges. I have seen stores sell it out of the same tanks they have their fish in which are full of disease and/or chemicals. You would be better off getting it from a reefer in the area with an established tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7577111#post7577111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdellyd
The deepness of the sand is controversial, but if you want denitrification which is the only reason I can think of for a deep sand bed unless you want your corals closer to the light you should go with 5 inches. If not, don't put any or just an inch would do or whatever looks good because that is all it will accomplishing.

Personally, I would be very cautious in buying sand from a LFS unless you know the owner very, very well and he is giving you the sand from a reef tank or a reef system or from one of his fuges. I have seen stores sell it out of the same tanks they have their fish in which are full of disease and/or chemicals. You would be better off getting it from a reefer in the area with an established tank.

I believe he is asking how deep to have the sand in his refugium not his main tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7578350#post7578350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ambaratur
I believe he is asking how deep to have the sand in his refugium not his main tank.

Correct, I think I am going to do about 1-2" of sand in the refugium.

Duh, that is what my answer was as the exact same argument holds true for the fuge or the main tank as far as the depth of the sand. There is no difference.

Back