• Yes, I QT corals

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, I do not QT corals or fish

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I only QT fish

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

hkgar

Thanks for responding to the poll. please leave comments.

I just read about QT for corals and I have never considered it. I do QT fish and treat with Cupramine or Hypo for Ick in QT.

Never thought about coral hosting a life stage of Ick.

I only QT fish. I have a tank setup to QT inverts, but it has a major flatworm problem, so I have only used it for clams. I know I should QT corals, but I don't.

What I read said 72 day QT. That seems quite long particularly for SPS and their lighting requirement. Any idea of the risk we are taking by not QTing corals.

I don't think anyone could give you a percentage. I have been keeping reef tanks for close to 25 years and have only knowingly introduced a pest via a non QT coral twice - flatworms in both cases. BUT, I have had ich a few times and could not always pinpoint the contagion - it could have been a hitchhiking ich cyst. Over the long run, if you want to maintain a close to 100% probability of being ich free, you have to QT everything wet for 72 days - which means having a fish free secondary reef tank with appropriate lighting and filtration.

^agree! I've introduced ich from a Mithrax crab 10 years ago and brook from a sea urchin last year. I've added stuff in between that time but was always holding my breath and over reacting to everything. Not worth it. I now QT all inverts, corals and LR for 72 days if not longer.

I have not introduced a new coral to my aquarium in about 8 years (and did not quarantine then for lack of facility, plus back then it was not as highly recommended) but am in the process of upgrading to a larger tank. When I do I will have more room to add new corals AND my old tank with all equipment will be available as a QT and will be used as such.

With the first round of coral that I just added to my new tank, I dipped it, but did not QT since there wasn't anything to lose in the DT, but I have an extra tank with the same light, so everything new will be going in there to make sure that I do not lose anything in the DT

I used to only quarantine fish. I just used to dip new corals.
Thats how I've managed to introduce Valonia and Aptasia into my DT.
Lesson learned.

Back