QT Procedures?

Goldndoodle

Started thinking about this this morning ...

If QTing new purchases, and dosing with Prazipro, Cupramine & Maracyn Two - nothing from the setup should end up anywhere back in the DT system ... right?

So sponges and ceramic media from the QT should be thrown out, and only new sponges & ceramic media bags should be put in the sump to be ready for the next QT session?

edited.

I would keep seperate filters for each system. never re-introduce from one to the other.

it IS possible ich eggs can stick to filters and sponges and you just keep contaminating the DT when youre done with QT

I believe it is safe to move things down stream, from DT to QT, but never move things from QT to DT. If you want to seed sponges and ceramic in your sump and move to QT, that should be ok.

I toss sponges after each use they are cheap enough, I will usually by a half dozen or so at a time. All other items stay with the QT such as nets, heaters HOB filters,pumps. When my QT is not set up all the equipment resides in a 5 gallon bucket marked very clearly "QT Stuff".

Started thinking about this this morning ...

If QTing new purchases, and dosing with Prazipro, Cupramine & Maracyn Two - nothing from the setup should end up anywhere back in the DT system ... right?

So sponges and ceramic media from the QT should be thrown out, and only new sponges & ceramic media bags should be put in the sump to be ready for the next QT session?

Correct. It's a one way street. Assuming your DT is ich-free, you can put "cycled" media from your DT in your QT.

Even if you're not dosing medication and just using the QT as an observation tank, you still don't want anything from that tank to touch your DT. I don't even use the same siphon hoses used for water changes between QT and DT.

Back