QT Protocol, In-tank vs Bath Treatments

Starboard

Hi, all! I really appreciate all of the shared knowledge and positive support around here. I hope one day I can contribute to the massive search engine that I've been using extensively! :crazy1: (Although, I suppose this post is doing just that!)

So, after weeks and weeks of solid, cross-referenced research, I thought I finally decided on a quarantine protocol. I realize there are various ways to accomplish this, but now I'm more undecided than before! :eek1: Hahaha There is so much conflicting info., I'm trying to find a healthy medium. I think I need a sounding board for my ideas, so that's where you come in. :wave:

I've got an uncycled 10g QT that I set up with: a bare bottom, PVC pipes and Purigen (adding Stability daily, just in case it works and since I already had it) in the HOB filter, and of course a heater. The water level is lowered to allow surface agitation of HOB, but I also have an air stone I may add. (Originally, I thought the Purigen would be a good alternative to carbon, but it looks like it's recommended to remove it while treating with Paraguard and it may remove/adsorb *organic* medications, too. Prazipro?) I planned on doing daily parameter tests (at least twice a day for ammonia) and I also purchased an ammonia badge, just to be sure.

Parameters will be kept at 1.024 SG (may start off matching fish's source tank SG, especially if it's lower), 78 degrees temp; no hypo, unless necessary. I'm thinking if Ich presents itself, then I may do 100% water changes every other day- 5 changes total. Will that suffice in disturbing/eliminating the cycle? I don't want to over-do the water changes, but I'm not interested in Cupramine or other copper treatments (I'd like to use the tank for inverts and corals) and have no room for the tank transfer method. I have Prazipro on hand for internal parasites, as well as Paraguard, which I believe will cover the most common external issues.

One of my concerns is not wanting to do daily water changes, but that's obviously a high possibility with an uncycled tank. Every other day is fine, and I have Prime to help, but I didn't order the Seachem test to get more accurate results, so I may avoid Prime and just suck it up and change the water. :D I originally wanted to give the fish (paired, adult occ. clowns) a week to get used to their new home/for observation, and then treat Prazipro in the tank for a few weeks (1 week of no meds in between 2 treatments), take a week unmedicated (with 3 water changes- 50%, 25%, 25%) and then treat with Paraguard in the tank for 30 days (start with 50% dose for first 3 days, then 100%), with (unmedicated) observation time for another 2 weeks.

Now, I'm leaning towards doing bath treatments, as I like the idea of having a "safe" place to put the fish after treatment. I'm going to do more research on it, but I'd like to have some feedback, please. How effective are the baths vs. in-tank? Would that cause more stress? How long/often would I need to do the baths? What other factors do I need to consider? Has anyone treated via only baths and returned fish to an unmedicated QT? How did you do it and what are your thoughts on it?

I'm getting the fish from a local reefer and am considering getting the cleaner shrimp, too. Would that be too much in a 10g uncycled tank? The shrimp should help clean up the clowns' excess food, but I know it will contribute to ammonia, too. It would also make it more complicated when using Paraguard, but I've read some shrimp can handle it fine. If I do the baths, the shrimp can just stay safely in the tank, also.

What do y'all think?? What are you thought-processes? Thanks in advance! :wave:

IMO your course of action for ich will not work. My reasoning is that you will not get all the water out of the tank and could still harbor ich. FWIW some folks use 5 gallon buckets for TTM.

What kind of baths are your referring to, Fresh water, formalin?

I would be wary of using medications with a shrimp or other inverts in the QT.

Hi, Tony! Thanks for your reply. My plan was to spray down the tank, heater, PVC pipes, and HOB filter/sponges with white vinegar, scrub it down, rinse them well with hot water and replace filter media. Do you think it would be more effective this way? I'd like to be able to see my fish from all sides. That was only one of my ideas for treating ich in-tank; the other one is to use Paraguard for at least 30 days, but I hadn't decided on when to do either, or if I should treat for it in the first place. I know Paraguard isn't as heavily studied/found successful as other methods, but combined with my variation of TTM, Paraguard and a long quarantine, it has a better chance of success, right?

As for the baths, I was referring to Prazipro and Paraguard. I'd also consider freshwater baths. As I mentioned, I hadn't fully researched or thought-out the bath idea, yet. It occurred to me suddenly and thought it would address my QT concerns of having a "safe" place to return the fish, in case they show signs of stress, they're not stuck in a tank full of medication. I would like to get that shrimp, too, but realize the complications in this situation. I briefly looked up bath treatments here on RC yesterday and found very little info.

Thanks again for your input, Tony! It's much appreciated!

If I am understanding correctly. your plan for the 100% WC is to spray down the tank and everything then rinse in hot water. If so your 95% of the way for TTM, you would just need something to transfer the fish to.

If I am understanding correctly. your plan for the 100% WC is to spray down the tank and everything then rinse in hot water. If so your 95% of the way for TTM, you would just need something to transfer the fish to.

+1 petco dollar per gallon sale for the win here.

get yourself 2 tanks and just do ttm properly and call it a day.

Back