qt

Tick1962

i have a qt question. my fuge is in the the basement away from my display tank by tied off the main drain. the only thing in there right now is some pods and nassarius snails and some live rock is it possible to use as a qt tank for observasion of new fish. i understand no if i have to medicate but for just let a fish get food and used to the ne water is this ok?

I would say no. The point of qt is to not introduce into the system until you are sure they are disease free. Putting the in the fuge is no different that the display. You risk contaminating all the livestock and possible letting parasites move in.

i've had a 50/50 survival rate with normal qt so was hoping for a different approach, better stick with the norm, maybe the ones i've lost weren't healthy to begin with. thanks again

i used one of the little ammonia things u stick to the tank. it always read zero. and i did regular water changes and kept feeding to a min.

i used one of the little ammonia things u stick to the tank. it always read zero. and i did regular water changes and kept feeding to a min.

The little stick on monitors are super sensitive so that likely wasn't the problem. What is your qt setup, volume, filtration, etc? 50% loss is really huge, imo. I'd hate to see you continue losing fish at that rate. There's likely some reason other than just rotten luck. You'd have to be getting a lot of sick fish to have that kind of mortality rate. Was the tank new, or do you know its history, also?

it was an old 10 gallon (only thing i had except stuff tied in to the main system, wasn't really running a filter just used a sponge i had in my sump for about 5 months for that purpose with an airstone through and and air pump. used a double biowheel filter without any media or biowheels just for water movement. 2 2inch pvc 90's for hiding and glass bottom. i did use water from the main tank. do you think that might have been an issue? i used to have nitrate and phosphate isssues prolly around the time of those qt's

Your system is pretty much the same one I use. Half tank water, half new though, at the beginning. Only thing I can think is that 10 gallons is pretty small. It wouldn't take long for any problem to build up to a serious problem, with that little volume. That's strictly a guess, however. I have a 20g for a qt and have been looking for something like a 29. Just hard to qt a larger fish in a 20

Back