Quality Protein Skimmer

sbudke1

I have a 55 gallon tank w/ no sump and currently have a modified skilter. I'd like to upgrade my skimmer, as I am still battling nitrates and wanted to make a more informed decision this time.

what would be a good choice protein skimmer that could hang on the back of my tank and not be too noisy? I appreciate any advice I can get, thank you!

remora would be a good choice - i suggest getting the prefilter box so it can skim the surface. you can stock up rocks on that box and hide it. btter than looking at the pump.

Don't do it, don't listen to the Remora lovers....

1. The Remora is far from silent
2. Your money could be invested in a much better product.

what hang on back skimmer would you recommend instead?
If you're gonna turn down a product, you should offer an alternative.
There are many better skimmers, but most are in-sump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9222700#post9222700 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mnestroy
Don't do it, don't listen to the Remora lovers....

1. The Remora is far from silent
2. Your money could be invested in a much better product.

Remora with prefilter box, and get the largest pump you can place in the tank. MJ 1200 is a good option, but you can get better skimmate production with a stronger pump. If you get it new it will take time for the breaking period.

I was considering a Remora, but heard some users say it was pretty noisy, unless you put a paper towel over the injector (or something like that).

Anyway, if you would consider an in-tank skimmer, look at the Tunze skimmers. I have a 9002 for a 20g and it is very quiet. The fan on my light fixture is louder. For me, having it in-tank means I don't have to worry about overflowing, which is a plus.

The only thing I wish the 9002 had was a good surface skimming attachment. Other than that, it's been great.

I would look into the Tunze, but just because I didn't offer a better product or an alternative to the Remora Pro that doesn't mean its a good purchase.

Your best choice is to research/build a sump so that you can utilize a good skimmer. For the price you'll end up paying for a Remora Pro and Prefilter box u could get a good in sump model.

As mentioned I have the Remora pro with a Mag 5 on my 40 Breeder, I was given a Seaclone skimmer, and I have them both running and I get much better skimmate from the seaclone (which is kidna unheard of since the seaclones are very hated)

The remora is quiet with the towel over it. I have the remora pro with a mag 7 and extra large skimming cup in my sump. I used it as a hot for a while, then built a 80g sump and put it in there. For $300 new, you can get much better for a hot skimmer. I like my remora, but just ordered an in sump skimmer that cost less that will pull out much more skimmate. For a 55g, get a coralife ss 220. It costs 142 at big als online, or you could go with a octypuss hot or precisine marine hot. They are all cheap but very good hot skimmers. the deltec is the best yada yada, but for 500 bux, no thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9223334#post9223334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gricks
go with a Deltec, you will not be sorry!

I agree (or maybe a tunze).

The remora is really a mediocre skimmer at best. Is there a reason why you cant put a sump in? It would really open up your options for skimmers.

My stand is split down the middle, so if I put a sump in it would be tiny. I eventually want to upgrade to a much bigger tank when I can afford it. Then I'll have the sump, etc.

Back to the Remora, I think the biggest problem you'll see with the Remora is their quality control. You can find 50 people who love them, and then another 50 that hate them.

My understanding is that they are hand made and because of this each model works slightly different. I have seen other units where the collection cup fits super snug, and others where its very lose.

As far as loudness, yes a folded paper towel will reduce the amount of sound it makes, but wouldn't you think for 300bux a company could implement a better solution?

Back