Quality skimmer for JBJ NC28??

SandyPup

I know this question has been asked before, but I'm hoping some new info has surfaced lately on the topic"¦ Has anyone found a good quality skimmer that will fit the JBJ Nano Cube 28? I am otherwise so happy with this neat little AIO but this is becoming a real deal killer for me. I searched far and wide when I set the tank up 3 months ago and finally decided to get the skimmer recommended by DFS specifically for the NC28. This skimmer is useless! Poor performance at best, without the added frustration that you can't open the lid without knocking the collection cup off :angryfire:

The tank is set up too close to the wall for a HOB skimmer to fit, and I really don't want a bunch of equipment protruding from the cube. Kinda defeats the purpose of the neat and tidy AIO IMO :eek:

I'm considering giving the Hydor Slim Skim Nano a try, though I'm uncertain if it will fit either inside the DT or in the rear chamber (while still allowing the top to open) Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer?

I have experience with that skimmer but not specifically in that tank. As far as nano skimmers go it's top notch IMO. Super quiet, very consistent, produced very nice skimmate just an awesome skimmer all the way around. I know the Tunze 9002 and 9004 will fit but you have to buy some special collection cup so it fits under the hood nicely. The new innovative marine ghost skimmer looks awesome but I have ZERO experience with it so I'm not sure if it's any good. Their old nano skimmer produced great skimmate but it also produced lots of micro bubbles.

Thanks for the info! Sadly, upon further investigation it appears the Hydor will not fit the NC28 even with the InTank modified collection cup unless I run it in the main center compartment of my sump, which would mean removal of my media basket. For my set-up it's not worth the sacrifice.

The IM Ghost Skimmer looks awesome! But, same scenario"¦ won't fit. In fact, no skimmer could possibly fit in the super tiny "skimmer chamber" on this model. I think the only route I could go with this tank is a HOB skimmer, which means I'll have to drain the tank and move it out three inches or more from the wall. It sucks, and I'm not happy. :mad2:

The JBJ was a gift"¦ a nice one, I admit, but in hindsight I wish I had returned it for the Innovative Marine Nuvo 38. Come to think of it, if I have to drain the tank I might just buy the Nuvo 38 and be done with it. No sense in :deadhorse1:

Most people dont like the biocube protien skimmer but if you get it dialed in correctly and remember to take collection cup off everytime you put yourbhand or anything in the tank it gets the job done

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions :wave: I cleaned the skimmer out really well and changed the wooden airstone and it seems to be picking up a bit. I also took the mounting bracket off and it seems to seat better in the compartment without it. The Aquaeuros Nano looks like it might fit, but will likely have many of the same problems as the Biocube skimmer, so I'll stick with what I have for now and hope for the best!

You're beat purchase would be an aqua max hob1. I was against it but tried to fit two different in chamber skimmers with no luck. The aqua max isn't an eye sore either

Yep! :thumbsup: You're right about the Aqua Max. That's what I'll end up with eventually when I get up the ambition to drain the tank and move out from the wall.

Yep, looked at the AquaC Remora as well. Still requires moving the tank out from the wall to accommodate a HOB, and from what I've read for the money the Aqua Max seems to be a better quality skimmer.

What problems do people have woth the biocube protien skimmer adjust the bubbles to barely come up to the black ring throw collection cup on get grosse nasty crap about every three days its full

Actually my biocube skimmer is working a lot better now. Took it a while to break in, I guess. I also now realize that the air stone needs to be replaced often or it craps out quickly. My only other complaint is that I have to turn it off and remove the collection cup in order to open my lid.

I haven't been able to find a replacement wooden airstone that will fit the 1/2" compartment in the skimmer. I'm using a silica airstone in it now. Any thoughts, Jonapunk?

How often are they lasting you it should last 3 to 6 months if not longer i replaced mine at 11 months on my previous tank which was a biocube 29

Also when you do replace them remember to let it sit in the water for a few min before turning on dont know why but it says to do so in the directions and they do work better

Back