Quarantine corals to prevent ich, is this right?

Dhelseth

Ok, so i'm doing the fallow display currently, and have a new tank set up to quarantining all new corals. Now, my concern for new corals would be the cysts that form on the substrates, which a 6 week quarantine should eliminate.

If i place corals in my QT at different times am i ok to pull the older corals out and place them in my DT when their time is up? My thought process is that after 6 weeks any cysts would pop releasing the trophonts which would die without a host and won't be able to form new cysts.

If after 6 weeks i do a vigorous dip would that be considered safe or should i reset the QT back to 6 weeks with each new arrival?

First, the tank should be fallow with no fish for 9-10 weeks to be on the safe side. Once the tank is ich free, quarantining corals for a couple of weeks maximum should be safe. I would never overlap introduction of new corals with corals already in QT. I am especially sensitive to anything wet which came from a system that contains fish.

I dip all new corals and quarantine them for 10 weeks in a dedicated invert QT with LR and sand. 6 weeks isn't long enough if you want to be 100% sure. Like Steve said, if you introduce new corals into your QT, the clock resets to 0.

Back