Quarantine new fish or watch in store?

WhoDat?

I'm just curious what would be the point of quarantining a new fish if you can watch it in the store for 4 weeks? There's a little clown I been watching that I like and it's been in their tank for about 4 weeks.... nobody has bought it.... so if it had some disease it would show by now.... so what's the point?

I QT everything that goes into one of my tanks! I have way too much money invested into my system not to mention time, to take a chance of introducing a pest to my tank that there may not be a cure/solution for. To me....its just not worth the risk!

I’m just curious what would be the point of quarantining a new fish if you can watch it in the store for 4 weeks? There’s a little clown I been watching that I like and it’s been in their tank for about 4 weeks.... nobody has bought it.... so if it had some disease it would show by now.... so what’s the point?

The problem with that thought is that other fish have been added to store's system, so your clown could be exposed to a new disease pretty much up until it gets bagged.

Being able to watch a fish over an extended time in the store does let you know it's probably eating, and wasn't on the verge of dying when it was brought into the store, but it doesn't guarantee that you won't be adding a disease to your existing system.

Kevin

Last edited:
Ask yourself how many pumps that store has. Usually all the hoses run to a common sump. If you get this fish, I'd recommend isolating him from your system for at least 2 weeks, preferably 4. TTM is easy to do, easy on the fish, and one clown would be good practice.

Back