Queen or Emperor Angel

How big are they before they start the grunting? 2x the other day I woke up from drifting off to sleep thinking someone was at the door. Of course, no-one was. I thought I might be having flashbacks or something, lol. My juvi is about 4" and just starting to hint at changing.

I'm curious as well. Mine doesn't grunt at all, he is still young though 3.5 inches max! So around 4" they will start their transformation? I can't wait for both my queen and emperor to start changing! But then I will need a much bigger tank!

4" and he'll have a fine grunting voice :)

Usually they grunt as a sign of aggression to assert their dominance. If he's in his favourite hiding spot, and we'll say a tang tries to go in there and share it with him, then you'll hear him grunting as a means of saying "get out". Feeding time, if you only feed nori at one end of the tank again you'll find he'll grunt to ward others off, saying "its mine".

I dunno if they do it if they are not the dominant fish...... if some larger or more aggressive is present, then they might not make the sound in an attempt to keep a low profile.

I had a 2 in sohal beating the crap out of my 10+ in hamiian trigger

The first sohal I had was also purchased at about 2 in & grew to 10+ withing 2 yrs, he was a model citizen with zero attiude.

In a tank your size I think you chances are a LOT better with haveing a emperor & queen vs a sohal in there with anything :(

DAM ae they beautifull though

Back