Queen or Emperor Angel

hermitage

Hey all

My wife and I are stunted with this decision. We've narrowed down our options to a Queen Angel or an Emperor Angel.

We have a 210 with a Volitans Lion, Harl Tuskfish, and yellowtail Damsel. After the angel is introduced, we plan on adding a Sohal Tang as our last fish.

So which would you prefer...Queen or Emperor?

TIA for any help!

Wayne

Either will work fine aggression wise but I think the Emporers have a much better personality and don't tend to get as aggressive. It really comes down to a matter of preference so go observe several of each species before you decide. I have a juvi Emp named Elvis and he is the coolest fish. He's very intelligent and not shy at all.

imperator is not as aggressive or as hardy although every fish is an individual. they are my favorite angel and my fav fish, especially the orange tailed ones

both those angels are my favorate, i had the same decision to make either or, but i decided to have both and is been 2yrs since i had them w/o any problems, they get along great. the only thing i did was to acclamate them both at the same time so no one has the advantage. good luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9236371#post9236371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cunningham
my friend has about 15-18 angels in 1 tank i think its a 150 and the emp rules the tank

:(

I think adding a sohal to the mix as the last fish is going to be a mistake. They are quite aggressive, and will need a larger system.
IMO, angels do best when they are the alpha fish in the tank.
You also need to watch as sometimes large angels will pick on lions. Having the lion established first is in your favor, but an adult angel could really stress a lion by nibbling at the long, showy fins.

I didnt know that, thanks for bring that up. I had no idea angels would pick on a lion, :lol: . Who da thought, :)

Michael

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9236838#post9236838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clekchau
:(
I know its a bummer! its like trying to get him to stop taking heroin {ADDICTED}:hmm4: he cant stop, the crazy thing is they get along fine, also some very $ ones

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9237260#post9237260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scoutmaniak
wow, 15-18 angels in one tank. I hope they are all dwarf angels.
i don't think he has any :confused:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9235931#post9235931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clekchau
reefmvp, were both about the same size?

yes they were, i got them about 4" each and now they are about 6-7"

Thanks for the replies all! This hobby can be tough. There's a lot of contradiction from what I've read vs real world situations.

15-18 Angels in one tank? Both Queen and Emperor Angels in one tank? I thought you were only supposed to have 1 Angel per tank? Go figure.

As for the Sohal, I know they're aggressive, but I figured if I bought him small, around 3", he might not be such a terror. This is a fish I just can't deny. I also figured I've got plenty of room, and plenty of LR for hiding purposes.

As for the Lion...we've had him for 2 years. He is definitley established. This is my greatest concern. Most people I've talked to say I should be ok as long as I don't introduce any Triggers, and that Angels don't usually go after Lionfish.

The way I'm starting to look at it....there's risk inherent with any new fish introduced.

Oh yes..another contradiction..I have a 1" Yellowtail Damsel and a 9" Volitans Lion. They've been together for 2 years. I swear they're buddies.

all fish are individuals and if the tank is big enough or certain conditions are met ie introduce at the same time, introduce bigger fish etc i have seen more than one angel in a tank on numerous occasions. i plan to house 3 large angels in my tank eventually.

sohals seem to do well if they are the boss of the tank although for some reason they pick on blue tangs every now and then, i don't know if it's because they have similar body shapes or what, i plan on keeping one of those also :D

I recently just put in a queen about 4 months ago and added a emperor about a week or so ago. Both are juvies about the same size, they both get along fine. If you get them at the juvi stage and introduce them in together, I don't think you will have a problem. Might need to upgrade when they get bigger though. Good luck!

My vote is emporer. I personally think the queens get too big. I really think a 240 is min for them (8' long), and even that that rate they are a bot cramped.... they sort of cruise more, where as the emporer is a bit more "head down" and not as inclided to cruise the length of the tank.

I would say that the queen has nicer colours, and not coming from the same sea as the sohal might be be more compatible...... however the fact they tend to be more aggressive might cancel that advantage out.......

All round, I think the emporer is the better choice for you.

HTH

Matt

Back