Question about adding sand to established tank. and Sponge question.

One fish

In Memoriam
Hey RC. So I have a 30 gallon. It is about 2 weeks old, cycled, and has a fish in it. I need to add more sand and I have the Caribsea live sand. Can I add it all 20 lbs in now? I put thee cups in and my water is pretty cloudy. Will that hurt my fish and will it hurt my cycled tank?

Also. I bought a used sump and I want to use the filter sponge to clear my water from the sand. But since it is used it is fairly hard. What is the best way to clean and soften it?

Any advise on either would be super!!!:lolspin:

If all it has is the fish, I'd remove the fish to a quarantine tank or keep it in a friend's tank for awhile. It can stress the fish. What is letting you know the tank is cycled? Two weeks seems a little soon.

Put the sponge in a container of vinegar overnight and rinse. good luck-

Thanks for the quick response. I did not explain that part right, the tank was cycled... so a month or so. And the fish has been in it about two weeks. Everything is great in it. But just too little sand. Do you think catching it, and transporting it and everything would stress it out just the same. Hes a tough guy, I have had him forever.
THanks for the advice!

If i turn my sump back on with the filter pad in place. Is it bad for my overflow for all the dust to go through? I have never had a sump and overflow before.

I would wash the sand first in saltwater. There are a lot of reasons I dislike live sand, having to waste a lot of saltwater to clean it is just one. It sounds like it is too late to return it and get dry sand which you can wash with tap water, plus you don't have to worry about the dry sand starting a new cycle which is possible with "live" sand which can have more dead than live organics in it. Try to limit your sand additions to about 1/2", waiting a few days between additions if you plan on adding more than 1/2".

Back