question about calcium and alk levels

skunkmere

i got a buddy, he has a 75 g reef, with LR and crushed coral, and fish. he doesnt dose anything. i tested his levels and they were 7.5 meq/l for alk, 500 for calcium. he uses a biowheel, and bakpak1 skimmer, he hasn't changed his water in over a month. why are his levels so high. he uses RO from whole foods. maybe they buffer the water?

I hate to say it but I measure my alk weekly as I run a reactor. I measure calcium by how much time I spend scraping off coralline algae off the tank glass.

Bill

well today i tested my levels on my tank and my alk was 4.5 and my calcium was 350, so i does 850ml of two part, im working on building my calcium reactor and wont be up probly for a month as i get my parts. so you only monitor your alk to keep the reactor running?

Not to keep it running...So I don't over dose. I measured my CA last month at 425.

Ca and Alk are related. I'm a big believer in reactors. If you don't use one a three part of Ca, Alk and Mag is a good way to grow coral without excessive water changes.

Bill

BTW NSW has a KH of 7-8 dKH or 2.5-2.9 meq/l

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14808772#post14808772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skunkmere
i was shooting for 4.0 meq/l and 440ppm calcium. is that too high?

Keep it simple NSW is 2.5-2.9 Ca will follow Alk. I would not recommend any thing over 3.5 meq/l...

It can be a bit complicated but in a CA reactor you're melting old coral skeletons. When you do this CA and ALK are related.

When you dose be careful...Been there done that.

The chemistry part of RC has a more detailed explanation.

Bill

I shoot for 8 dkh, 420 Ca, 1300 mag.
4.0 is too high.

your friend's levels are crazy, looks like user error or a bad test kit. Does he have corals? what results is he getting? 7.5 meq/L...no way. That is 21 dkh, I know in the 90s the germans ran their reefs as high as maybe 18 dkh, can't remember why though.

Back