Question about established yellow and blue tangs

goldfish69

Hi forum.

There's a local hobbyist that is selling a yellow and blue tang for a good price that he says is healthy and ich free.

If I purchase them and put directly in my DT, whats the likelihood that they can get ich? They have been established for about 1 year.

I normally quarantine fish when I get them from my LFS, but I only have a 20G tank and there's no way I can fit both of them in there.

Opinions please. I know that tangs are ich magnet.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ich free as in they have not shown symptoms or Ich free as in the local hobbyist quarantined everything.

Ich free can mean "has not had any spots for over three days. :)

Tank is 300gallon.

He's had them for over a year and they don't show symptoms of ich.

So are they safe to put in my DT?

These are not from LFS but from a local hobbyist.

Thanks

Never, under any circumstances, put any fish into your tank without quarantining first. The disease forum has a non-stop parade of hobbyists who have found this out the hard way. You cannot tell if a fish has ich by looking at it.

Never, under any circumstances, put any fish into your tank without quarantining first. The disease forum has a non-stop parade of hobbyists who have found this out the hard way. You cannot tell if a fish has ich by looking at it.

So does this mean qt with copper or just observe for 6 weeks?

+1

Quarantine everything. Petco is having their $1 per gallon sale. So if you need to get a larger qt tank for them, now is the time.

Quarantine them. Period. I don't trust what I don't do myself -- unless you have seen the fish in a QT for six or more weeks, with copper, consider it infected (especially tangs). How large are they? I've had 10 fish in my 26g QT for weeks and weeks and there was NO fighting at all. Just make sure there are plenty of places to hide, good water parameters, and the fish are well fed -- mine got a sheet of Nori seaweed and good quality pellets or frozen foods (or both together) soaked in Selcon, daily.

The quarantine period is but a short phase in the life of a tank -- it's a PITA but absolutely worth it.

Back