Question about LPS

bellusangel3

Do I drip acclimate it and then add it to the tank or do I just bring the water up to the tank temp and then just add it with out drip acclimating it?

scotmc

Moved On
You need to create the same salt level in which it came from. Depending on what the differnece is. You either adding highter or lower sailine levels. For temp differneces, you can just float the bag of coral in your tank, until it matches you tank temp.

scotmc

Moved On
what are the differences in the levels. For temp, most people, just float the bag in their tank water.

bellusangel3

This isn't from my lfs ...I am thinking about transfering some of my LPS from the small tank to my larger 120 gallon tank. Levels are a little different like SG and calcium. The calcium levels in the larger tank are 550 and the small tank is 400 maybe because there is no corals in the larger tank that will consume the calcium. SG in the big tank is 1.027 and the small tank is 1.026.

PH is 8.2 in both tanks
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0
phosphates 0
KH 10 in both tanks
mag levels in the big tank are a little low. I don't know why its low, maybe its the salt I use. I use coralife salt. I am thinking about switching to reef crystals as soon as I run out of coralife. I think it makes no sense that mag levels are fine in my small 24 gallon but in my 120 levels are low.

120 has 2 MH lights
24 has what ever an aquapod comes with.

scotmc

Moved On
why is your calcium so high? Your real close in your reading. I see no harm in just adding them.

bellusangel3

temp in the 120 is 76.7 and the temp in the 24 is 76.2..usually they are 78F..cold day today so its making the tanks a little colder than normal.

bellusangel3

I think my calcium is so high because of the salt I use it already has calcium in it. I test the water for the water change and its always high in calcium. I use RO water so there is not added calcium in that. I guess that would be a good for LPS or SPS corals. Good thing is I don't have to add calcium. I'm sure the calcium levels will go down as soon as I add something that needs it. Right now there is only snails absorbing the calcium.