Question about quarantine water changes

CanuckReefer

I have to take all my fish out of my DT and leave fallow to rid of itch. I have QT going through cycle and when its done ill be transferring the fish. Now since its a basic setup, i wont have a skimmer.

I will be doing water changes as required to keep Nh3 down, but i am wondering, should i use new salt water, or can i take water from the display tank(has itch) and put it in my quarantine? Will the itch transfer with the water?, and will my copper, or hyposalinity kill the itch so the fish dont stay infected?

I just dont know if using salt water from a infected DT will basically null the fact that i am using a QT with either hypo or meds.

As a side question, I recently QT'd a yellow clown goby for ich. During the treatment, I was concerned about water changes and changing the levels of copper in the tank for treatment. All worked out well in the end, but I was wondering what others thoughts were about that.

Yes, you have to adjust the copper for evaporation, and water changes

Another thing people do is run a lower salinity in their QT

DT water is OK for the initial QT set-up. But, under no circumstances, use DT water for QT changes. Different phases of the ich life-cycle are not affected by any treatment used. Don't even let anything wet go from the DT to the QT. Vital reading:http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2159738

I read this thread and I am hoping that I am not doing something that I should not be doing. Since I set up my qt I have been doing wc's with water removed from my dt.

Is not using the dt water in this case only because the dt has ich?

If the dt was clean with no infection, what is the harm in re-using water removed from the dt?

The more I learn the less I know.

Tom G

If you're sure (100% sure, not "I haven't seen ich in a few months" sure) that your DT water is disease/parasite free, its fine for the QT. I've used it for years.

As a side question, I recently QT'd a yellow clown goby for ich. During the treatment, I was concerned about water changes and changing the levels of copper in the tank for treatment. All worked out well in the end, but I was wondering what others thoughts were about that.

I'd post this in the disease section, you'll get a lot more help and the person that started this thread won't have to read through other info.

Back