Question about RO float valve/ solenoid

nethawk73

Hello all,

I am new to this and until now I have been filling buckets almost daily to replace the water lost to evap. in my rubbermaid container. I have a RO unit under the sink but I only open the valve connected to the sink plumbing when I am filling a bucket.

In my rubbermaid container I have a pump that is connected to a float valve in my sump. So here the water gets replaced automatically. If I set up a float valve in the rubbermaid container and just leave the valve open under the sink (going to the RO unit) wont the pressure that builds up in the RO unit (when the float valve is not filling the rubbermaid) cause it to spring leaks? Or will it be ok?

I have been reading alot of threads ....... and I think that this is what alot of people are doing.....just not positive. Any help here would be appreciated. I hate those $@##&$&%^ buckets!
Thanks

My cheap filterdirect unit is always "on" or under pressure. No leaks. Mine goes right to my sump on a float valve with a high level back up solenoid.

thanks for reply.... Is it recommended to have it go straight to the sump. Or should I have it go to the rubbermaid ? I guess there's not really a difference. Also... are there any recommended brands out there?

Well...some will argue that the forst "squirt" of water out of the unit is not the best water, that the TDS is higher.
I have not experienced that. I guess mine runs so often it's never really "off" or whatever you want to call it.
I timed when it came on and for how long over a few hours, then disconnected the float assembly and ran it into a bucket, mimicking the auto top off times. The water always read 0-1 TDS, mostl times 0. I also have an in-line meter and watch it periodically as the unit cycles.
I'd use a high level float as a backup wired to a solenoid type shut off just in case the ol' floatvalve malfunctions.

90038sump_4.jpg

my top off is hooked up to a float valve / solenoid in my sump...my ro goes to the top off container behind the wall in a closet that is gravity fed

Back