Question about sand...

Pudge957

I'm in the process of taking down a fish only tank that has very little in it. Is the sand in it safe to be moved into another established tank without any risk? Or is it going to stir everything up and cause a big mess?

Re: Question about sand...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15283650#post15283650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pudge957
I'm in the process of taking down a fish only tank that has very little in it. Is the sand in it safe to be moved into another established tank without any risk? Or is it going to stir everything up and cause a big mess?

I'm doing both... I'm putting sand from the old tanks in a sump with LR. Putting new well-rinsed sand in the display tank...

LL

You said it was a fish only, My question would be Did you treat for any diseases? and if you did I would use new sand. IMHO other wise clean it and use it.

Never treated for anything in the tank. This was my first tank that I had set up in the beginning of 2000. The tank has only had fish in it with live rock and sand.

i have successfully moved 5 different 75-150 gallon aquariums, and had them set up the next day using the same sand from the system. not saying it is the right thing, i just couldnt afford to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of sand. i always rinsed mine w/ the garden hose in a bucket, then let all the water drain out. i always save some that isnt washed for seeding purposes. again not sure if that is the correct way, but i bever crashed my system, but i have heard of people that had crashed doing it that way.

bill@ftexas.com thats what im saying. I don't wanna waste it, and would like to put it to good use instead of tossing it. I think over the next couple of days im going to rinse and stick it in a bucket of saltwater until I figure out a place to stick it!

Be careful...

Be careful...

Rinse it very well...

If you stick live sand in a bucket with saltwater, I can tell you from experience that stuff in it will start to die from lack of oxygen and you will have a putrifying mess on your hands... after a week or so, it will stink so bad, you might not even be able to use the bucket anymore...

JME

LL

Dont mean to hijack the post but what if your changing sand from one type to another?I buy a bag of live stuff from a LFS can i siphon part of the old and put in new?

abigdog1976,
Absolutely! Although, I wouldn't pay the premium for the "live sand." The tank will make it live pretty quickly.

pudge957,
I would just put a powerhead in the bucket to keep it oxygenated.

Ok well here is my plan over the next month or so... Currently I have the 34g Solana and a 20L set up next to each other. I'm wanting to change the 20L to either a 30g breeder or a 40g breeder and use the 20L as a Sump / Refugium for the 2 tanks. So I wanting to save the sand from my old 55g to be able to put into the sump.

like Lightsluver said, if everything starts dying in the sand it is god awful. i saved a bucket i couldnt use at the moment. i cleaned it very well as\nd left about 5 inches of water on top and put a lid on. 2 montsh later when i was ready to use it, it looked like oil. and OMG the smell was bad. i would spread the sand out as much as possible that way the power head is circulating over more surface area. maybe in a larger sized plastic storage tub w/ a power head

Back