Question- Chiller Help.. not cooling??

verbatim21

Ok.. so I have a JBJ Arctica mini nano 1/15 chiller for my 24gal nanocube with a 150w MH. For some reason it doesn't seem to be chilling all that well.. I set the chiller to 78 degrees and its being run by a Maxi-Jet 1200. Its in my office and there isn't the best air flow going through the room but it never gets too hot (id say about 75-80 degrees in the room). I also placed it about a foot and a half from the wall.

My question is.. the chiller recommended gph is between 150-200 and the Maxi-Jet is at 295gph.. do you think that could be causing the problem (maybe water pumping too fast to chill??) or does anyone else run that with it same pump? does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in Advance

Brian

pump speed is fine...be sure there is enough room for air to flow out of the back, clean all the dust off of the condenser.

what do u mean it's not chilling well? can you explain ? like it turns on and takes how long to cool down ?

well.. I can hear it turning off and on over the course of the day but the MH still seems to still heat up the tank.. I just cant figure it out..

Brian, if there's only 24 gallons, then it makes sense that the body of water will heat/cool quicker.

If the chiller turns on/off, then it seems like it's working properly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12242913#post12242913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by verbatim21
well.. I can hear it turning off and on over the course of the day but the MH still seems to still heat up the tank.. I just cant figure it out..

so how long it takes to turn off every time it turns on ? if you can hear it turns on and off, then i think it's working, just that everytime the chillier turns on , the room gets warmer, so the temp of the tank rise up alot faster.

put your temp probe in the chiller output and see if the water is colder than the tank water... and if you think its too fast of water passing thru the cooling coil, put an adjustable valve and you can control the water going thru the chiller, but always put it after/output of the powerhead not the intake.

i would just try to slow down the flow a little bit, if it recommends 150-200 then you should shoot for that, 295 is adding about 50% to that, thats a big difference in what there optimal setting is.

brian, the maxi1200 is fine. that's what i'm running on my chiller at my house when you came over. how is the chiller not chilling well? hit me up if you have questions. pm me anytime... our setup is similar.

The manufacturer recommends between 150-200 GPH for a reason. That is the optimum flow at which you will get the best performance out of your chiller. I would restrict your maxijet down a little to get maximum efficiency.
I agree with others, what do you mean it does not seem to be working? What is the temperature doing? What are the settings on the chiller?

Or, you could be too slow. MJ's are rated with zero head, once you add head these pumps slow down big time. I'd check the flow using a milk jug or something else to measure then then do the math.

Back