Question on 1/2" thick glass

OC CJ

Crushed coral > sand
well, i started a new project on a 118g tank. It is not starphire but standard glass. i set the tank on the stand yesterday and the glass looks slightly green. i'm worried that when it's filled it's still going to look green and not clear.

anyone out there have a 1/2" thick tank and can chime in on the clarity? does it look green when it's filled and lights are on?

Thanks,
CJ

That's the difference between regular glass and starphire (low iron) glass. You won't notice it as much when the tank is full, but the glass is always going to be slightly green.

well, i couldn't pass up the deal on the tank. most people only go with starphire on the front panel right? if so, do you notice a big difference when viewing from the side vs. the front?

I have starphire on all 3 viewing sides of my tank so I can't comment. The difference is like looking at a normal glass tank "vs" an acrylic tank.

Here is a picture of mine without water, looking thru all 3 sides at a white curtain. Notice the color of the Euro brace, it's normal glass:

9086close_plumbing.JPG

hey javier, that's what i'm hoping to hear from some normal glass users. obviously starphire is the better choice but right now it's looking really green to me. i noticed it more when i finished the frame of the new stand and set the tank on it. i'm hoping when full and 14k's on it the green will diminish.

I doubt you will notice any green once the tank is full and lit, unless you put an acrylic or starphire tank next to it, then you may notice something. I never remembered my 100 gallon tank being green until I took it down.

thanks ken, i'm sure i won't, i'm just a little worried since i'm going from a crystal clear acrylic to this tank. many people run regular glass and i'm sure they look great when setup.

I have front starphire and regular side. The starphire side you can see the color of the corals brighter compare to the regular side is a little greener due to the green tint in the glass. You will see a different color of your coral if you take picture from the starphire compare to the regular side.

that is a big difference. the green shows up a lot more in that pic. the pics in my journal thread don't make the tank look that green.

i know starphire is way better. this post wasn't to ask that. i just wanted to know if you would really notice the green when the tank was setup. i'm sure the difference will be less noticable but hey, for $50 i couldn't pass on that tank. Maybe i'll cut the stand down so that you can view from the top down and it will be eye level when sitting on the couch.

don't stress over it, once the lights are on, u won't even notice the green tint. I went through the same worries when my empty tank was sitting in the garage w/o lights.

thanks guys. i know i'm over-reacting on this but i just needed some people to chime in and calm me down....
:)

yo cj...check out the pic of the tank skairik is selling...regular glass...fully stocked...looks good imo

yeah, i actually looked at that earlier. doesn't look bad at all!!

so where's your comments on my updated pics on my journal? you asked for more pics!

Back