question on DIY durso or gurgle buster

kevensquint

Hi, about to put together a device to muffle splashing in my overflow box. According to what I've found online. The durso speaks of drilling a tiny hole in the end cap, however, the dursos I see on tanks have a piece of airline hose instead. The gurgle buster instructions say to push that same hose down until the noise stops. So : won't the part of the hose inside the device get salt spray build up. And clog ? Also, is the hose better than just making a small hole in the top end cap? Thanks.

I like to drill a hole on the cap better. I start with a small drill bit and increase the drill bit size until I find the hole size that best works for me. You do have to clean the hole once in a wile because of salt creep.

I gave up trying to get my durso design quite and changed to a full siphon with a Herbie design. Best thing I ever did!

I like to drill a hole on the cap better. I start with a small drill bit and increase the drill bit size until I find the hole size that best works for me. You do have to clean the hole once in a wile because of salt creep.

this, don't rush it either, give the pipes time to slime up before you go with a bigger drill hole.

Hi, about to put together a device to muffle splashing in my overflow box. According to what I've found online. The durso speaks of drilling a tiny hole in the end cap, however, the dursos I see on tanks have a piece of airline hose instead. The gurgle buster instructions say to push that same hose down until the noise stops. So : won't the part of the hose inside the device get salt spray build up. And clog ? Also, is the hose better than just making a small hole in the top end cap? Thanks.

There could be two issues going on here: 1) The height of the durso in relation to the teeth of the overflow box.

If the bottom of the durso inlet is too low compared to the teeth of the overflow, water will "splash" as it falls to the level of the water in the overflow.

To fix this "splashing" sound, set your pipe height higher so that the inlet to the durso is within a half inch to the bottom of your teeth. This keeps the water level in the overflow higher, thus the distance the water falls is small.

2) Air flow and water flow.

For the durso to work, it requires air to travel along with the water down the pipe. Having a hole at the top of the durso keeps it from creating a vacuum, thus the "toilet bowl " sound of flushing.

This can still happen even if the durso is set up properly if your return pump is pumping too much into the tank for the durso to handle. To fix this, place a ball value on the return line and reduce the amount coming through it till the durso becomes quite.

Hope this helps!

Back