Question on Momentive RTV103

JamesHolt

I have 2 12" cubes from Deep Blue. When Amazon shipped them 1 pane on each got cracked, (their fault, they used a display box and not a shipping box).
Can I just replace the one pane, (take from one to fix the other). Or is the RTV103 like silicone and will not adhere/bond to itself..

Honesty, I wouldn't mess with it if you got it within the last 30 days. Amazon will take the return and send you a new one since it was damaged in route.

I have 2 12" cubes from Deep Blue. When Amazon shipped them 1 pane on each got cracked, (their fault, they used a display box and not a shipping box).
Can I just replace the one pane, (take from one to fix the other). Or is the RTV103 like silicone and will not adhere/bond to itself..

RTV103 is not "like".. It IS silicone
A single pane can be replaced on a tank..

But yes... return it.. They messed up.. Not your fault..

The did replace it,, that's why I have two.. They refunded after the second one, told me to get rid of them don't send them back..

You will need to ensure that ALL of the old silicone is removed before you attempt the fix. New silicone will not bond properly with the old and would compromise the integrity of the repair.

You will need to ensure that ALL of the old silicone is removed before you attempt the fix. New silicone will not bond properly with the old and would compromise the integrity of the repair.

Well pooh,, guess I will have some edge ground glass for dividers then..
May try to rebuild one just for the heck of it..

On a12"cube replacing a single pane of glass is fairly easy. .that said it would be easier to deconstruct the tank and completely clean the residue off the glass...you will need several razor blades several rags a bottle of acetone a tonne of elbow grease and most importantly corner clamps. .likely a guitar string a putty knife and heavy duty exacto knife may help you get the tanks apart

I'm no tank builder but I think u will be fine replacing just the one pane of glass if that's the route u choose to go. U still want to clean all the silicone residue like wanabe explained. Silicone bonds well to silicone, what it doesn't do is bond to old, dirty silicone. Being its a new tank I don't think u will have issues. Getting all the silicone residue off is the hardest work but the hardest thing to do is putting the tank back together without getting air bubbles in the silicone. That is the part that takes practice because there is definitely a technique to getting it right. U can't just glob silicone on like u do for a sump baffle or something.

Back